All protocol submissions must be accompanied by a current -- within the past three years -- certificate of human subjects training from CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative).
If you have not completed CITI certification before, go to www.citiprogram.org. Do NOT select "Log In Through My Institution."
- If you already have a CITI account, choose "Log In" and proceed.
- If you have not yet accessed CITI, click "Register," then enter Seattle University for "Select Your Organization Affiliation" and check the two boxes before clicking "Continue ..."
- Enter first and last name, and your SU email address (CITI will not accept any other email addresses).
- On the following screen, select only "Human Subjects Research" to access the correct training modules.
- Choose the relevant course: 1) Student Researchers, 2) Faculty Researchers, or 3) Faculty Advisers to Student Researchers (required for advising student protocols).
- Complete the modules offered in the courses. You may save at any time and return to the training.
- Save a PDF of your completion certificate to submit with your protocol, as the IRB does not monitor and retain CITI certifications apart from individual protocol submissions.
Student PIs submitting a protocol must complete all the modules in the "Student Researcher" course. Their faculty advisers must also complete the modules in the "Faculty Advisers" course before signing off on student protocols. (The faculty adviser CITI must accompany a student submission for it to be considered complete for processing.)
In special circumstances, the IRB may accept alternative human subjects training, such as the NIH certification. Contact us if you believe any key personnel in your protocol might need special accommodations.