May 6, 2021
Posted by ICTC on Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 1:06 PM PDT
Please join us as we wrap up the year with several great programs. Next week we welcome theologian and award-winning author Dr. M. Shawn Copeland, and in two weeks we host an interfaith dialogue with Lummi Elder Darrell Hillaire and Fr. Pat Twohy, SJ. We conclude the year with two more faculty research presentations and a panel exploring "Social Justice and its Challenges in the Biden Presidency and the Papacy of Pope Francis" with SU's Dr. Connie Anthony and Dr. Patrick Schoettmer and Boston College's Dr. Hosffman Ospino at the end of May. Please join us - more information is below!
- In May we celebrate Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month. Last year's Catholic Heritage Lectures focused on the Cultural Contributions and Contemporary Challenges to American Catholic Life. We were grateful to host Peter Phan last spring, and his talk "Asian-American Catholics: Challenges and Opportunities for Full Citizenship and Church Life" is still available on the ICTC website!
- I'm a Filipina American and racism makes me afraid for me, for my family (NCR, 5/4)
- The ICTC is honored to join in signing the Tyler Clementi Foundation
statement, "God is on Your Side," against LGBTQ bullying and violence, along with 15 US bishops and over 100 religious orders, groups and institutions. Our appreciation to James Martin, SJ who has been a strong advocate of this movement through his social media channels.
- Some German parishes plan blessings for lovers, including lesbian and gay couples (NCR, 5/3)
- Cardinal Tobin: Synodality is Pope Francis' vehicle for changing the church (NCR, 5/5)
- Mary is celebrated in the month of May; this year Pope Francis has written a May prayer to Mary for the end of the pandemic. (America Magazine, 5/4)
- Is there a “crisis” on the U.S.-Mexico border? | Behind the Story (America Magazine YouTube video)