Housing and Residence Life
Policies and Procedures

Room Change Process

  • Room Change Process

    At Seattle University, we base our residential system on the principle of community agreements and strive to create respectful communities. The on-campus living experience is unique and is associated with many benefits and challenges.

    By interacting with people of different backgrounds and interests, community members form rich and lasting relationships. We recognize that conflicts will arise and we ask that you allow our staff to work with you to work toward resolution. Community agreements further enrich this process by providing an atmosphere of safety, education, shared community, and individual responsibility.

    The residential community of roommates, floor mates, and friends at Seattle University prepares our students to be involved in and become leaders for a just and humane world. Our roommate mediation process and room change policy is based on this tenet: we believe that roommates should develop open, communicative relationships. Our Housing & Residence Life team is prepared and willing to work with you through this process. Please note that while Housing & Residence Life staff members are available to assist with roommate conflicts at the Douglas Apartments, we do not facilitate actual room assignments or changes at the Douglas. Douglas residents who are experiencing roommate challenges should first talk with their RA and then may be referred to the Douglas leasing office for further assistance.

    In developing open and communicative relationships, every roommate pair/trio will discuss and establish a roommate agreement on how they will live together through establishing boundaries and managing conflict within the room. The Resident Assistant will assist each room in constructing their roommate agreements and if necessary, making modifications throughout the year to address any issues that may arise. Resident Directors and Assistant Resident Directors are responsible for managing the room change process for the residence halls. All moves are dependent on room space availability and priority of the request compared to other requests.

    Step by Step


    If you would like to pursue a room change, please refer to the process below.


    Step 1: Contact your Resident Assistant or the Resident Director in your building.

    • Provide information about why you want to move
    • Your RA or HRL Staff Member will connect with you regarding your Room Change request.
    • Room Changes are dependent on room availability and priority of the request


    If you are experiencing a roommate conflict, we recommend taking these steps to resolve it.


    Step 1: Talk with your roommates

    • Identify the issue(s)
    • Talk about your concerns and listen to hear any concerns your roommate(s) may have

    Step 2: Ask your RA for assistance

    • Review Roommate Agreement with your RA
    • Make modifications to the agreement

    Step 3: Contact Assistant Resident Director

    • If the issue is not resolved after RA assistance, contact the ARD to arrange a room mediation
    • This meeting will determine the next steps of the process on a case by case basis

    If you have any questions regarding the Room Change Process, please talk with your Resident Assistant or with the Resident Director or Assistant Resident Director for your building.

  • Housing and Residence Life Calendar

    • Spring Quarter Housing Application Opens 2/14/2016 All day event
    • Housing Portal Opens for Fall 2016 3/1/2016 All day event
    • Late Departure/Early Arrival Requests Due 3/10/2016 All day event
    • Spring Quarter Move-In 3/28/2016 All day event
    • President's Commencement Brunch 6/11/2016 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
  • Guide to Residence Hall Living

  • Contact Us

    Housing and Residence Life
    Campion Hall 100
    901 12th Avenue
    Seattle, WA 98122-1090
    Phone: 206.296.6305
    Fax: 206.296.2212