Seattle University's Grounds Department has been a leader in sustainable landscape management practices since 1986. The Grounds staff is committed to stewarding an environmentally friendly campus that provides educational opportunities for students, that functions as an urban wildlife sanctuary, and that serves as a safe and inviting space for the campus and our surrounding community.
Our Beautiful Campus Grounds
A place to wander, study, sit and enjoy a landscape that uniquely describes the Pacific Northwest.
Learn about current projects and changes happening in Seattle University's gardens.
Touring Our Grounds
Would you like to know more about our landscapes and how we maintain them? We offer tours throughout the year, and would be happy to set one up for your group. Tours can highlight the history of the SU landscape, the sustainable practices we use in our pesticide-free maintenance program, or our in-house compost operation. We can customize a tour around your interests and can assist you in visiting any of our specialized gardens on campus. Email Janice Murphy or David Clausen.
Awards and Recognition
- 2013 Field of the Year Award for Championship Field from the Sports Turf Manager's Association
- 2010 Runner Up Award for Green Washington Award from Seattle Business Magazine's annual Green Washington Awards. This program recognizes organizations on the forefront of making Washington a greener place to live and work. Seattle University was a runner up for its post-consumer compost program.
- 2008 Green Washington Award from Washington CEO Magazine for SU's sustainable landscape practices and pre-consumer food waste composting program.
- 2006 Washington Toxics Coalition's "Hall of Fame" for grassroots activists working on toxics issues in Washington State
- 2003 Certificate of Recognition from the Governors Award for Pollution Prevention and Sustainable Practices
- 1994 Business in the Green recognition from King County's Greenworks program for SU's pollution-preventing grounds practices
- 1986 Backyard Wildlife Habitiat Certification. SU Grounds was the first institution to be awarded this certification by WA Dept of Fish and Wildlife