Featured Projects


  • Campus Store Relocation
  • Vi Hilbert Hall @ 1107 E. Madison Street - Student Housing Project


  • Redhawk Complex Improvements







Seattle University Park / Logan Field

William F. Eisiminger Fitness Center

The Fitness Center is an addition to the south-west side of the Redhawk Center. The two story addition is 21,000 square feet that sits directly upon a former parking lot, and connects to the south end of the Redhawk Center across from the Astro Gym.

The facility houses fitness equipment, cardio equipment, weights and free weights; there is a large TV’s for viewing while working out, as well as large west facing windows. The first floor houses the reception desk, offices, fitness equipment, stretching areas, locker and toilet rooms for both men and women. The second floor has even more fitness equipment, stretching areas, a Fitness Assessment Office, and a large studio which can be divided in two for multiple exercise classes (yoga, aerobics, dance and more).

The building has been designed to a LEED Gold standard and utilizes many sustainable practices. Visibly you will see a rain garden, bicycle racks, low flow water systems, window shades, as well as recycled and sustainable building materials. What you won’t see as readily are many systems within the design to save energy on all fronts, such as heating, cooling, lighting, and more.


The Douglas: Center for Service and Community Engagement

The Center for Service and Community Engagement serves as the main entry point for students, faculty, and staff who want to serve and learn in the community. The Center also acts as the focal point for community-based organizations and government institutions seeking University support to address unmet community needs.

To further strengthen the ties the Center has within the community, the Center as relocated from the James C. Pigott Pavilion for Leadership to the Douglas. The Douglas' prominent position in the community, with it's large, E. Cherry St. facing windows, places the Center physically at the edge of campus and community boundaries.  This positioning helps the Center to better fulfill its role as a focal-point for community-based organizations and government institutions seeking partnerships with the University.

The Douglas

Seattle University entered into a partnership with a partner firm to answer student demand for affordable housing near campus.  

As quoted from Housing and Residence Life's website: "Offering apartment suites with one to five bedrooms, the Douglas is an option for 259 upper-class students desiring the convenience of on-campus living, but the privacy and independence of off-campus housing.  

Located on-campus between Logan Field and Championship Field, the Douglas is an environmentally friendly building. Apartments are filled with natural light and come fully furnished. Each apartment has a living room, private bedroom(s), bathroom(s) and full kitchen with breakfast bar. Adjacent to the ground floor landscaped courtyard, a sunlit residential life space includes a media room, smart laundry, and kitchen and meeting/study rooms.  

Head to www.thedouglasatseattleu.com to visit with Douglas. The Douglas is a privately owned and managed property for Seattle U students. "

1313 E Columbia: Interim Library / Facilities Administration

1313 E Columbia, site of the former Interim Library,  has been remodeled to house vehicle maintenance, SU Bookstore storage,  warehouse functions, an environmental storage shed, classrooms and Facilities Administration.
During the remodel and construction of the Lemiuex Library, the northern portion of 1313 E. Columbia housed the Interim Library.  With the completion of the Lemiuex Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons project, the Interim Library is no longer.  

Currently, there are two classrooms on the first floor of 1313 E. Columbia.  

James C. Pigott Pavilion for Leadership 

Completed in September 2010, this building renovation provides a new focus for leadership programming. The renovation included an update to the building lobby, new spaces for one-on-one & small group mentoring, group gathering, workshop presentations and educational display showcasing leadership across the disciplines.

Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons  

The Lemieux Library renovation and McGoldrick Learning Commons expansion were completed in September 2010. The construction included renovation of the 1960s-era library and a new high-tech learning commons building to serve the university’s 7,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students. This project received an enormous boost in the form of a $10M challenge gift from the Gates Foundation, the first major donation in the campaign. The new library is an exceptional destination for the campus community incorporating new spaces such as a new Information Commons, Academic Support Center, which co-locates crucial units such as the Learning Center, the Writing Center, the Math Center, and Center for Student Success, Multimedia Development Center and a large library instructional center that facilitates university outreach and connections to institutions worldwide.

Law School Annex  

The storage warehouse on 1215 E Columbia was transformed into Seattle University School of Law's Law School Annex in spring 2010.  The facility houses the Ronald A. Peterson Law Clinic, the externship program, student publications, four classrooms, and a multipurpose room. 

Campion Ballroom

This project consisted of the renovation of the existing 8,000 sq. ft. Campion Ballroom. The lighting was updated, and a new color scheme and window treatments provide a fresh and functional environment for student and public events.  

Rianna: Human Resources and Conference and Events

Seattle University has leased approximately 8,000 square feet on the ground floor of the Rianna building.  The newly leased space houses Human Resources to the east and Conference and Events services to the west.  The departments moved into their new homes in early 2010.

Admissions and Alumni Relations Building

The A&A Building project was an addition and remodel for the Plasteel Frameshop on the southeast corner of 12th Avenue and Marion Street. The project remodeled the existing frame shop into an integrated work space for the Undergraduate Admissions, Graduate Admissions, and Alumni Relations programs. In addition, the existing structure created a new vestibule entry for the building, with new office spaces on the south side and a new community center / living room space on the north side. The new assembly space is available for meetings and receptions by the Admissions and Alumni programs, the University, and the neighborhood community. The living room is a tall, elegant pavilion with adjacent kitchen and restrooms for all types of daytime and nighttime programming.

Description courtesy of James Cary, Architect pc

Cherry Building Build Out

In 2009 the ROTC and Facilities departments welcomed new neighbors, Marketing & Communications and the Controller's office.  The unoccupied portion of the Cherry building was renovated to house these departments.  The Marketing & Communications department is finally under one roof.  The Controller's office now has a space that is more appropriately sized to the growing department's needs. 

1313 E Columbia Renovation: Interim Library and Warehouse

1313 E Columbia underwent renovation in 2009 to accommodate the Interim library, Facilities warehouse and Bookstore Annex.  The interim library provides space for students, faculty and staff to study and perform research while the Lemiuex Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons project is underway. A small collection of print resources, a study area and a teaching room are located on the west side of the building's first floor; library staff offices are located on the second floor. The Facilities Warehouse and Bookstore Annex take up the east portion of the building as well as the basement.  The warehouse was moved to allow for the expansion of the Law School into the building formerly known as Seaport, located on the corner of 13th Ave and E Columbia.

Bellarmine ADA Walkway

The Bellarmine ADA Walkway spans the rear entrance of Bellarmine to the rear entrance of the Student Center Pavillion. Linking these buildings with a wheelchair accessible ramp enables students, faculty, staff and visitors to easily move from Bellarmine to Cherry Street or the Student Center.

Chardin Roof

Summer 2008 an update to the roofing and mechanical systems of the three-story academic and residential building, Chardin de Teilhard , were completed. The building was transformed into an academic and residential building from a skilled nursing residence in 2007.

Redhawk Center Lobby Renovation

The main entrance to the Redhawk Center was remodeled during the summer of 2008. An existing wall was removed to improve circulation within the building and other improvements, such as new paint, carpet and check in desk, were also added.

Redhawk Center Visitor's Locker Room

The new team locker room was created for visiting athletic team use. The locker room is located by the existing women's restroom on the first floor. The addition also includes some remodeling of the Athletic Offices.

Xavier Elevator

Xavier Hall, home to student residences, the Modern Languages department, classrooms, and the Chardin Collegium received an elevator to broaden access. The new elevator shaft was built on the north side of the building and services all floors.

Bannan/Lemieux Chiller Project

The university expanded the existing Chiller plant in the basement of the Lemieux Library and provided cooling to designated areas in the Bannan building, including the first floor and the eastern half of the fourth, fifth and sixth floors. There is also be additional capacity to serve the Lemieux Library Renovation.

Bannan Sciences Labs

Growing enrollment along with outdated teaching and research labs made a renovation of Bannan a high priority in the summer of 2007.

Two first-floor biology labs, 103 and 161, were renovated over the 06-07 academic year and finished in time for the summer quarter. The first floor of Bannan houses a new NMR spectrometer purchased with an NSF grant.

On the fourth floor, two new biology labs replaced the Diagnostic Ultrasound suite, some offices, and one general purpose classroom. (Diagnostic Ultrasound's new facilities are located in Chardin Hall.) Associated lab support functions like prep and storage rooms were also created.

The fifth floor features these new facilities: an analytic and inorganic chemistry lab, an instrumentation core room, a core research/teaching lab, a biology/physical chemistry lab, a research lab, and some relocated offices.

The sixth floor underwent extensive work for these facilities: two general chemistry labs, a organic chemistry teaching lab, faculty research labs, storage and prep rooms, and some relocated offices and research labs.

Two small spin-off projects in the Engineering building rounded out the work: a new general science classroom in 307 and the creation of four offices for Math faculty out of an underutilized classroom in 401.

Barclay Houses: Kolvenbach Student Community

Seattle University owns two houses on Barclay Court that have been traditionally rented out or used for overflow student housing. In 2007, these houses were renovated with a focus on sustainability. Features like cork surfaces, natural light, recycled fixtures, and energy efficiency allowed the houses to qualify for Built Green, the residential equivalent of LEED.

Four students will living in each of these houses constitute the Kolvenbach Student Community. Residents are required to participate in community service and are selected based on their dedication and desire to strengthen the university's ties to the local community. 

Cherry Building: ROTC

Seattle University’s ROTC group (also known as the department of Military Science) moved into the center portion of the Cherry building in the fall of 2007. Their suite consists of offices, a computer room, a climbing wall, storage, and more.

ROTC was selected to move into the building because of the expansion needs of both Athletics and Recreational Sports in the Redhawk Center as well as ROTC’s need to remain close to the Redhawk Center.

The Cherry building was originally occupied by the Olympic Pie Company and has undergone many transformations. Many of the interior walls that had been added over the years were removed and the roof was replaced. With minimal additional work, the south portion of the warehouse was converted into an open office now used by Facilities Services. The north section is currently being developed for use by University Advancement and Marketing and Communications.

Loyola Learning Center

The Loyala Learning Center needed additional testing rooms as the student population has grown considerably. Just beyond their first-floor suite is the College of Education's Clinical Counseling Center, which was already equipped with small rooms and a monitoring system. A new office for a testing administrator and the installation of two new doors allows the Learning Center to take advantage of this adjacency.

Lynn Lower Level: Digital Journalism Square

The Communication Department moved from Casey to the 1103 East Madison Building in the summer of 2006. In 2007, their presence in the building and on campus expanded with the addition of a digital journalism lab and two offices on the lower level. This high-tech space will have special areas for text, audio, and visual production, as well as photojournalism and graphics design. Two professors will be in new offices just across the hall.

The Communication Department's headquarters are on the third floor of the 1103 East Madison Building. The new Center for Strategic Communication opened on the second floor in 2006.

Marion Street Entryway Upgrade

The Marion Street entrance and adjoining parking lot received a facelift in 2007. A new entrance monument faces 12th Avenue and catches the eye of visitors and passersby. Corridor banners line the edges of the entry, and a new information booth literally takes center stage. New steel bollards with solar lights replaced the old wood bollards. The street and parking lot were resurfaced, and assorted new plantings rounded out the new look. The university seal was baked onto fresh pavement at the intersection of Marion and 11th Avenue using a high-tech plastic.

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S. J. Hall

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S. J. Hall opened in September 2007 as a three-story academic and residential building. From 1990 through the spring of 2007, it was as skilled nursing residence known as Bessie Burton Sullivan.

The second and third floors consist primarily of residential suites, each with its own bathroom. There will also be lounges and study rooms on each floor. The south portion of the first floor is dedicated to Diagnostic Ultrasound, a department that was displaced by the renovation of Bannan. It features a lab, faculty offices, and a computer lab. The north side is dedicated to classrooms. Two large classrooms and several small seminar rooms help accommodate the university's growing cohort and executive education programs. The residence hall's front desk, mail room, and hall director's office and apartment occupy the center of the first floor.

Also on the first floor is a commercial kitchen used by Chartwells, the university's food service provider, to prepare sandwiches and salads for sale elsewhere on campus. A small contemplative space is available to all of the building's occupants and accessible directly off of the main building entrance.

Bessie Burton opened as a skilled nursing residence in 1990 and was designed for up to 135 residents. Since then the Seattle University's enrollment has grown considerably, and current facilities for academic, residential, and administrative use are stretched. In January of 2007, the university announced it would be closing Bessie Burton in the spring and reopening it in the fall as a mixed use academic and residential building.

In April of 2007, Fr. Stephen V. Sundborg, S.J. announced that the building would be renamed in honor of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, one of the greatest Jesuit theologians and scientists of the past century. This change was made at the suggestion of Fr. Bill Sullivan, S. J. and Sr. Kathleen Sullivan, RSCJ.

Sullivan Hall: Second Floor Administrative Area

This minor renovation featured the completion of offices, door relocation for the Dean's office, break room modifications and the addition of a shower to the staff restroom.

Xavier Global House Phase Two

The reinvention of Xavier from a standard residence hall to the Global House has been an exciting development for students and faculty on campus. The first phase of Xavier's transformation into the Global House included moving the Modern Languages department to the first floor. In the summer of 2007, Xavier continued to grow into its new role with an extensive renovation of the lower level and the creation of new first floor offices.

Phase Two enhanced the international theme in a number of ways. The lower level has three classrooms, a computer/language lab, a large kitchen, and a lounge. These spaces were designed to serve the needs of the residence hall community, the Modern Languages department, and the university in general.

Education Abroad outgrew its offices in Bellarmine and Xavier was a natural fit. They are located in a new suite in the first floor lobby. Their old offices will be taken over by Student Academic Services to provide space for new advisors.

The addition of an elevator to the building in 2007-2008 will open up the Global House to even more students.