These are some of the prospective students' most frequently asked questions about the TESOL Program at Seattle University.

Can I work while going to school?

Yes. Most classes are offered at 5:45 pm. A few are offered at 4:15 p.m. or 7:00 p.m. In the summer session, some classes are offered during the day.

Can I be an ESL educator without having a teaching certificate?

Yes. To teach adult ESL students in community colleges or in other settings, a teaching certificate is not required.

How long does it take to finish the program?

Most students take from two and a half to three years. Two classes per quarter is average.

What's the difference between the MA and the MEd?

These degree options both require 48 credits including an internship. The MA requires a 3-credit graduate project. The project is a problem-based scholarly product focusing on an area of student interest. To complete the MEd students choose an elective course in lieu of a project.

Do I have to find my own internship site?

The faculty starts to work with students in the middle of their program to find a site. It is, however, the student's responsibility to locate an appropriate site and develop an internship proposal approved by both the advisor and the site supervisor.

Is financial aid available?

Yes. The University has a financial aid office.

Are there jobs in the ESL profession?

Yes. There are many opportunities in all areas of ESL. Many positions in community colleges are part-time, however. There are also many jobs in private language schools. Additionally, there is a growing demand for ESL teachers in many other countries. Our recent graduates overseas are teaching in various educational settings, including both K-12 programs and colleges.

Is this program accredited?

Seattle University and the College of Education is regionally accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges.

Can I transfer credits?

Up to 10 quarter credits of graduate study may be transferred if they meet Seattle University criteria, including completion within six years of the date all master's degree work is to be concluded. Transfer credits must be at the A or B grade level, and earned at a fully accredited institution.