Our Special Education programs are designed to prepare special education teachers who will become leaders of the field and well prepared to meet the needs of these students with disabilities in the 21st century.
Why should I choose Seattle University?
- We train students in special education with students from other disciplines in order to encourage true interdisciplinary collaboration.
- We have a great atmosphere of student learning with an extremely supportive administration.
- We attract very high quality students with many having already extensive background in the field.
- We have particular expertise in the field of behavior disorders and learning disabilities. We have a wonderful training site at the Child Study and Treatment Center in Tacoma.
- We are not particularly dogmatic in our approach to special education. We value diverse theoretical orientations in order to best learn how to meet the needs of the students with disabilities in the K-12 system.
- We are increasingly focusing on the needs of students in the K-12 system with diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds. We have a special course looking at the needs of bilingual learners.
- Courses during the school year are offered in the evenings. Most courses during the summer are offered during the 1st 4 week summer session. This enables students to work during the day throughout the school year. The exception is the MIT with Special Education endorsement program. Students in this program must be full time students.
- We embrace the Seattle University focus upon social justice. We encourage our students to live a life of service to others. To encourage this, we have implemented service learning activities in several of our courses.