Licensure Disclosure

Does this program meet requirements for licensure in my state?  

Certification and licensure requirements vary by state. Seattle University has not made a determination that the College of Education curriculum meets educational requirements for licensure/certification outside of Washington State. We encourage students who plan to work out of state to check relevant local licensure/certification requirements. Other licensure requirements may include professional examinations, background checks, years of work experience, fingerprinting requirement, etc.  Students who are considering an academic program that may allow them to pursue professional licensure in their state or territory are strongly encouraged to check their state's or territory's information below and contact the appropriate licensing agency to seek information and additional guidance before beginning a program outside of their state.  Licensing board and contact information is provided below for each state and program. 

Potential changes in requirements: Licensure information is reviewed and updated on this site in Spring of each year.  Students who plan to pursue licensure outside of Washington state should be aware that state licensure requirements are subject to changes.  While a program may originally meet the educational requirements for licensure, changes in requirements could impact the program's ability to meet any new educational requirements.  We recommend students to always check with their state licensure board to confirm licensure requirements. 

Important note for relocating during the course of a program: Prospective and current students should keep in mind that licensing and authorization requirements vary by state and that relocating during the course of a program to another state could impact whether that student can continue in the course, meet the eligibility requirements of that state, and/or receive financial aid funding.  If students are considering relocating, they should contact their program director and/or faculty advisor to check for authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.  

For more information on your certification in different states, use the following resources: