Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to some frequently asked questions. If you don’t find the information you are seeking here, please call us at 206.296.5760 or send an email to

What are the deadlines for application?

For your convenience, many of our programs admit students each quarter of the year. Application deadlines for all our programs are listed here.

1 cohort per year

  • Doctoral Program: December 1 for priority deadline, application review is on-going until a full cohort is reached
  • MIT Degree with a Special Education endorsement: October 1
  • Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling Programs, Summer or Fall start:  February 1 application deadline
  • Student Development Administration: December 1 application deadline
  • Educational Administration: February 20 application deadline

2 cohorts per year

  • MIT Program, Fall start: April 30; Spring start: October 1

3 cohorts per year

  • Adult Education and Training, Fall Start: July 20; Winter start: November 20; Spring start: February 20

4 cohorts per year

  • School Psychology, Summer or Fall Quarter start: February 20;Winter or Spring Quarter start: October 20
  • Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Fall start: July 20; Winter start: November 20; Spring start: February 20; Summer start: May 20
  • Special Education, Fall start: July 20; Winter start: November 20; Spring start: February 20; Summer start: May 20
  • Educating Non-Native English Speakers, Fall start: July 20; Winter start: November 20; Spring start: February 20; Summer start: May 20

How do I get my initial teaching certification?

At Seattle University you can earn your initial certification through the Master in Teaching Program, also known as the Teacher Education Program. The MIT program takes four quarters to complete and is structured for full-time students.

Do I have to take examinations like the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)?

To prepare for admission, please check the requirements for each program. Some programs require test scores, others do not.

What other K-12 options can I pursue?

If you are interested in teaching in specialized areas or providing professional staff services, or administration we have a variety of options:

  • Special Education – master's or educational specialist's degree and/or an endorsement in Special Education
  • Educational Administration – master's degree for Principals or Program Administrators
  • Educating Non-Native English Speakers - master's degree
  • School Psychology – Educational Specialist degree
  • School Counseling – master's degree

What options can I pursue outside the K-12 System?

If you are interested in teaching or administrating educational programs for adult learners in business or not-for-profit organizations such as health care or the arts, you are in the right place. In addition to K-12 teachers and administrators, our programs are designed to meet the needs of a wide variety of education oriented pursuits.

We suggest that you explore:

  • Adult Education and Training - adult training and development for adult basic education
  • Clinical Mental Health Counseling - mental health counseling, post-secondary, and others
  • Community College Teaching - post-master's certificate
  • Doctorate in Education Leadership (EdD)
  • Student Development Administration - student life/administrators in post-secondary education
  • Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - master's degree in TESOL or post-master's TESOL certificate.

I want to get a master's degree, but I don't know which program is right for me. What should I do?

We invite you to call or meet with an Advisor or attend one of our Open House events or program information sessions. Additionally we encourage you to talk with colleagues about their experiences and learn which programs are accepted in the fields you wish to pursue.