Policies and Student Responsibilities


Appeals and Complaints

Students will be informed about and have an opportunity to discuss any changes made by Disability Services regarding their individual services. Students have the right to appeal all decisions. Appeal procedures are explained in Seattle University’s Section 504/ADA Policy and Appeal Procedure Handbook handbook.

Requirements for Documentation of Disabilities

In order to receive academic accommodations and services the student must have a documented disability as defined by state and federal regulations. The student provides professional documentation, which meets the criteria, set forth in Requirements for Documentation of Disabilities

Academic Adjustments and Auxiliary Aids

Decisions regarding academic adjustments and auxiliary aids will be made on a case-by-case basis, considering the particular needs of the student, the demands of the situation and the essential nature of the activity or program.  Decisions will be made using the criteria set for in Procedures for the Implementation of Academic Accommodations for students with disabilities.

Academic Adjustments and auxiliary aids cannot be approved that require a change in the essential requirements and/or nature of the course, curriculum, or activity involved or that create an undue financial or administrative burden. 


Disability-related records will be kept in a lockable cabinet that is accessed only by the Disability Services staff. All disabilities-related information is protected by confidentiality regulations. See the Confidentiality of Disability-Related Records statement.

Disability Services staff will send notification of the student’s disability status to the designated administrator of the student’s school or college. The administrator will keep this information in a separate location, not adding it to the student’s official file. The designated administrator will release the information on a need to know basis only.  

Additional Policies

Reasonable accommodations will be provided without cost to the student.

Students who are not able to travel independently to and from classes and campus buildings after orientation to the campus facilities must provide their own aide. (Please note that the university does not provide personal attendant care of any kind.)

For additional information on policies and procedures, see the Detailed Procedures for Specific Academic Adjustments and/or Auxiliary Aids document.

Student Responsibilities


Provide professional documentation which meets the criteria, set forth in Requirements for Documentation of Disabilities. 

Academic Adjustment Requests

Make a request for an academic adjustment and/or auxiliary aid each quarter to Disability Services by completing an Accommodations Request Form for on-going services and by meeting in-person for new services that follow the timelines.

Follow the specific procedures for the academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids that you have requested. Give faculty and Disability Services staff enough time to provide your accommodations.


Work in partnership with your professor and with Disability Services staff.

Meet face-to-face with your instructor to discuss your needs sometime prior to or during the first week of class. There may be times when you don’t need a specific academic adjustment or when you need to alter one that you currently use. Discuss these changes with your professor. If you are uncomfortable with doing this or would like the Disability Services to support you on how to do this, please call (206) 296-5740 or stop by the office in Loyola 100.

Changes to Academic Adjustments

Contact Disability Services immediately if you have concerns about the provision of your academic adjustments or changes in your situation.