Academic Adjustments

Academic adjustments are modifications in how students participate in classes and activities. These modifications allow students to meet standards, but do not change them. Academic adjustments give students equal access to the educational opportunities of the University.

Some examples are:

  • Course readings in alternate formats such as electronic text, Braille, and enlarged print.
  • Extended time on tests.
  • Shared class notes.
  • Maintenance of full-time status for financial aid purposes with reduced course load.
  • Modifications needed to participate in out-of class educational opportunities such as internships and field trips.

How do students know if they qualify for academic adjustments?

Students must meet with one of the Directors of Disability Services before beginning services and provide documentation of disability that fulfills the Requesting Services page.

Students can also discuss with Disability Services staff the possibility of an undiagnosed disability and find out how to obtain a professional assessment. For suggested testing or screening locations, please visit our Information and Resources Student Resources page.

How do students know which academic adjustments to use?

Students discuss their past educational experiences, current issues and medical or psychological test results with one of the Directors of Disability Services.

The need for each academic adjustment must be supported by the documentation provided by the student.

How do students request academic adjustments?

Each quarter students should consider their classes and individual needs to decide whether or not to request academic adjustments. Staff can help students plan how to meet college expectations successfully.

After registering for classes and at least 3 weeks before the end of the quarter, students submit an Accommodations Request Form to Disabilities Services. For more information on the procedures for specific academic adjustments, please see the Procedures for Adjustments and Aids page.

If a student decides to request an academic adjustment that he or she has not used before, it is necessary to make an appointment discuss the adjustment with one of the Directors of Disability Services.