Independent Contractors & Honorariums

An independent contractor is an individual who provides a service to the University under specified terms in a contract and the University pays them directly for their service. Examples include speakers, interpreters, photographers and performers. Certain professional services such as accountants, architects and attorneys are also required to be reported with an Independent Contractor Payment Request Form, which should be completed and submitted through ProcureSU.

You may refer to Guidelines for Determining Independent Contractor Status for more detailed information on the importance of properly classifying Independent Contractors and a detailed list of questions to consider when making this determination. Refer to the paying a non-resident alien section when paying a person without a US citizenship for a service. 

To request payment for services performed, complete the Independent Contractor form. Additionally, the invoice, contract, W-9 and any other supporting documentation are required to be attached to the back of the Independent Contractor/Honorarium form.  Payments to the contractor will not be processed until the service has been completed and all required information has been compiled.