CEJS goings on
Q: What's new at the Center for Environmental Justice and Sustainability (CEJS) these days?
A: In a word, lots. Here's a quick rundown.
- As of July 1, Campus Sustainability Manager Karen Price is reporting to Professor Phil Thompson, director of CEJS . (The position previously reported to the associate vice president for facilities.) The move allows for greater integration and alignment of the academic, co-curricular and operational components of SU's sustainability efforts and it makes CEJS the center of all things related to sustainability on campus.
- More than 200 people from 25 states and 12 countries attended CEJS's inaugural conference, Just Sustainability: Hope for the Commons, which took place in August. Attendees included academics, grassroots activists and representatives from agencies such as the EPA. Thirteen Jesuit universities participated, including North Bengal St. Xavier's College, India, and Central American University, Nicaragua. CEJS plans to host the conference every other year, building the network of Jesuit institutions connecting environmental justice and sustainability, and supporting those working in these fields locally and around the country. For reflections on the conference, you can read Jesuit James Hug's reports HERE.
- Enjoy food and drink while hearing stories that connect environmental justice and sustainability at the CEJS Happy Hour. Come listen to CEJS Faculty Fellows tell stories about their research in such topics as snow leopard identification, climate debt, poverty alleviation in Costa Rica and tracking the impacts of the Elwha River dam removal. Mark your calendar for these upcoming CEJS Happy Hours: Nov. 20, Feb. 11, April 1 and May 26 in Student Center 160 from 5-6:30 p.m.
- Stay informed about SU's sustainable operations and environmental justice research and teaching initiatives. Sign up for the fall and spring quarter e-newsletter by emailing email@example.com and/or like the CEJS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/envjustice.
- Want to tour the greenest commercial office building on the planet? SU community members are invited to tour the Bullitt Center in which CEJS is located. It's only a seven-minute walk from the center of campus to E. Madison and 15th. Learn more at Tour the Bullitt Center with CEJS.