Where are your products going once the customer has them in hand? It is important to think of a product's whole life cycle. This includes the product, packaging, and materials in your store.
There are three main ways to discard items: compost, recycle or landfill. Seattle has some great resources on what to compost, recycle or throw away. This website will help you figure out where each item should go.
Bonus note: You may also qualify for no-fee hazardous waste material disposal and if you have metal or electronics to recycle, you can take them to Friendly Earth for free!
How can we improve?
- Take advantage of the experts in the Green Your Business Program to help you conserve resources and prevent pollution.
- Start composting! Recycling and composting can be confusing, help your employees and customers by posting signs. Offer all three bins throughout your store and break areas.
- Replace items using Stepping Stone 7
Food and Beverage:
- Offer composting bins around your store
- Offer reusable or compostable flatware
- Offer a recycling or buy-back program
- Partner with local second-hand boutiques to ensure your customers donate rather than discard unwanted items
- Partner with a tailor who can mend or repair clothing
PREVIOUS STEP | NEXT STEP