Snapshot of National Recognition
- In 2012, Seattle University received the President’s Award for Community Service, the highest federal honor a university can receive for community engagement.
- Since 2014, the U.S. News and World Report has consistently ranked Seattle University in the top 25 among all universities for service-learning.
- In 2020, Seattle University was awarded the Richard Guarasci Award for Institutional Transformation, one of only four Impact Awards among a national network of 1,000 Campus Compact member institutions.
- In 2020, the Carnegie Foundation awarded Seattle University its Carnegie Community Engagement Classification, an elective designation that indicates institutional commitment to community engagement.
- The Center for Community Engagement created and leads the Place-Based Justice Network, uniting 36 member institutions (and growing) in pursuing place-based strategies like the Seattle University Youth Initiative (SUYI).
- Kent Koth and Erica Yamamura (faculty in College of Education) co-authored a book (Stylus 2018) that profiles Seattle U and four other universities pursuing place-based engagement. Koth and Yamamura have given keynotes at numerous regional and national conferences.
With the goal of advancing the field of higher education and community engagement, the Center for Community Engagement and Seattle University Youth Initiative shares our lessons learned.
- Yesler Terrace Activities and Partnership Report (September 2020)
- CCE Theory of Change (updated Summer 2020)
- You Cannot Pick Up Spilled Water: Report on SU CCE & SHA Education Collaborative, Maureen Emerson Feuit, PhD and Aimie Kawai, MNPL (2019)
- Lessons Learned from Seattle University’s Journey of Community Engagement, Kent Koth, Executive Director of the Center for Community Engagement
- Education Engagement Specialist Report 2016, Cohen Research & Evaluation, LCC
- Seattle University Youth Initiative Tool Kit 2015 Erica K. Yamamura, Ph.D.
- Seattle University and Bailey Gatzert Elementary School Partnership, Cohen Research & Evaluation, LCC
- Yesler Terrace Public Safety Pamphlet , Will Parkin et. al
- Seattle University Youth Initiative White Paper, Erica K. Yamamura, Ph.D.
- Education Collaborative Summary Report, Cohen Research & Evaluation, LLC
- Choice Neighborhood Issue Brief - Improving Schools, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Eds, Meds, and the Feds: How the Federal Government Can Foster the Role of Anchor Institutions in Community Revitalization, Center for American Progress
*Please note that in celebration of our 10th anniversary, this annual report is a slideshow presentation.
Community Engagement Newsletters
Please click to view our interactive quarterly newsletters to read, watch and listen to our stories.