Increasingly, the demands of our new economic reality require students to be prepared with hands-on, experiential, real-world skills as they enter the workforce. More than ever, students must be self-aware and prepared to meet the ever changing demands of the new workforce. Career Services enhances the transformational educational experience at Seattle University by providing students and alumni opportunities to apply their learning in the real world.
There is no end to the variety of activities you may take advantage of that may demonstrate your values, interests, skills, and abilities. These activities provide you an opportunity to learn more about yourself, the needs of others and an opportunity to try out options.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Coursework may demonstrate more than just a grade. Look for opportunities to self-select topics of research and papers that deepen your knowledge while reflecting your skills and abilities.
- Double majors, second majors and minors may further broaden and develop your skills and knowledge, making you more attractive to future employers.
- Education Abroad can be a transformational experience that can load you up with relevant examples for you to demonstrate marketable skills. Learn more through the Education Abroad Office.
- Summer Research Opportunities provide great ways to deepen your relationship with faculty and your subject matter expertise. Learn more through the Office of Research Services and Sponsored Projects.
- Internships are essential in providing you an opportunity to apply your academic learning in a work environment; while increasing your attractiveness to potential employers and expanding your network. Make sure to talk to your advisor about these options!
- Student Activities offers a variety of clubs which are an excellent way to explore your interests while connecting with students from across majors as well as Student Government of Seattle University.
- Leadership Development provides programs and resources to help nurture competencies and qualities highly sought after by most employers.
- Housing and Residence Life is rich with opportunities for you to grow and through Living Communities and a variety of student employment opportunities.
- Campus Ministry provides a variety of retreats and experiential opportunities for involvement.
- Student Employment can help you meet your immediate financial needs while gaining valuable experience and learning new skills.
Center for Service and Community Engagement
- Center for Community Engagement provide excellent opportunities for you to apply what you are learning in the classroom to the service of the community.
- Be a Volunteercan be a way to recognize your gifts and talents while helping and supporting others and your community.
- Jump Start provides training and support to motivated undergraduate students working with low income students.
- Seattle University Youth Initiative is an institutional commitment to offers a variety of ways for you to engage and learn.
- Get connected to our mentor program.
- Connect with Jesuit-educated alumni in the Puget Sound region through Magis.
- Stay connected with Seattle University through Alumni Relations.