Job Title: Senior Director of Business Development for Internet Of Things
Industry: Software, Technology
Mentor Since: Fall 2010
Will Mentor: Graduate Students
My team leads the IoT Business end to end for Microsoft including overall product direction, new business models, ecosystem and pioneer customer engagements in partnership with Engineering, Sales & Marketing, Finance and Legal & Corporate Affairs groups. My core responsibilities are
1. Strategy & Industry Knowledge
2. Technical Leadership
3. Business and Deal Process
4. Cross organization orchestration
Microsoft Corporation develops, licenses, markets, and supports software, services, and devices worldwide. The company's Devices and Consumer (D&C) Licensing segment licenses Windows operating system and related software; Microsoft Office for consumers; and Windows Phone operating system. Its Computing and Gaming Hardware segment provides Xbox gaming and entertainment consoles and accessories, second-party and third-party video games, and Xbox Live subscriptions; surface devices and accessories; and Microsoft PC accessories. The company's Phone Hardware segment offers Lumia Smartphones and other non-Lumia phones. Its D&C Other segment provides Windows Store, Xbox Live transactions, and Windows Phone Store; search advertising; display advertising; Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal; first-party video games; and other consumer products and services, as well as operates retail stores. The company's Commercial Licensing segments licenses server products, including Windows Server, Microsoft SQL Server, Visual Studio, System Center, and related Client Access Licenses (CALs); Windows Embedded; Windows operating system; Microsoft Office for business, including Office, Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, and related CALs; Microsoft Dynamics business solutions; and Skype. Its Commercial Other segment offers enterprise services, including premier support services and Microsoft consulting services; commercial cloud comprising Office 365 Commercial, other Microsoft Office online offerings, Dynamics CRM Online, and Microsoft Azure; and other commercial products and online services. The company markets and distributes its products through original equipment manufacturers, distributors, and resellers, as well as online. Microsoft Corporation was founded in 1975 and is based in Redmond, Washington.
Avijit joined Microsoft in 2001 and has taken on diverse product development, partner engagement and business development roles across different products and business divisions. Currently he is the Director of Business Development for the IoT (Internet of Things) Business at Microsoft. Prior to this over the last 16 years he led teams that
1. Extended Cortana's capabilities to newer application domains and platforms.
2. Developed Office Applications for iOS, Android, Windows and Symbian platforms.
3. Drove Worldwide Partner Engagements, Field Readiness, Product Deployment, Solution Integration, Operations and Support areas for Mobile Phones and Subscription Computing efforts targeted at emerging markets.
4. Managed product development (Digital Imaging features) for Windows spread across teams in the US, India, Japan and Canada.
5. Managed Microsoft’s technical and business relationships across a diverse segment of partners (ISVs, IHVs, OEMs, Telcos, Mobile Operators, System Integrators, Payment Service providers, Banks, Government Departments, Educational Institutions and NGOs)
Seattle University MBA, Finance, Marketing, Strategy, 2009
Clemson University Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering, 2000
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras Bachelor of Technology, 1998
When and where do you hold meetings with your students?
Seattle University Library or Starbucks on weekends (preferable). Microsoft campus if weekdays.