Frye Art Museum
The Frye Art Museum opened in 1952 in Seattle’ First Hill neighborhood providing free public access to business leaders Charles and Emma Frye’s predominantly nineteenth century art collection. The Frye’s executor, Walser Greathouse, led the museum from its inception and, upon his death, it was led by his wife, Ida Kay Greathouse. New museum leadership in 1994, and the 1997 expansion and renovation of the museum, marked a shift towards increasing engagement with modern and contemporary art and artists, locally and internationally, while the Frye’s Founding Collection remains on view.
- Primary Form of Entity: Nonprofit
- Primary Artistic Discipline: Visual Arts, Multidisciplinary Arts
- Primary Areas of Activity: Presenter/Distributor, Venue/Facility
Research and Resources
Visit Frye Art Museum
Charles and Emma Frye Art Museum records, 1955-1989, University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections