Students may apply for a Graduate Assistantship by including a resume with their program application. Each position is paid $21.67/hour for 20 hours a week during the academic year. Students who meet the following minimum criteria are eligible:
- Acceptance into the Master of Science in Kinesiology graduate program
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Completion of required undergraduate coursework including Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, and Sport/Exercise Psychology or Psychology
Upower Fellowship Position
Upower, a Seattle-based nonprofit that provides fitness and wellness education to underserved teens in partnership with the Kinesiology Department at Seattle University is seeking a graduate student fellow for a two-year fellowship, starting September of 2021. The fellowship is a 9-month position for a graduate student enrolled in the MS, Kinesiology program at Seattle University; it will be renewed for the 2 years encompassing the student’s degree.
The Upower fellowship seeks to simultaneously grow the impact of this important non-profit work and expand graduate education through hands-on experience with trauma-informed coaching practices. The fellow will serve as a coach for Upower, as well as assist in evaluating and revising current program curriculum. Ultimately, this work will help to create a safe and fun environment for youth of all backgrounds to experience the positive benefits of movement and play.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create a positive, high energy, and safe environment for all students.
- Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the youth and community served.
- Communicate effectively with Upower coaches and volunteers to run safe and organized classes.
- Communicate with non-Upower personnel to maintain positive relationships with partner sites.
- Assist the Program Director in the development and implementation of new programs such as mental skills & wellness curriculum.
- Develop evaluation metrics and assist with data collection and interpretation
- Attend all coach/staff meetings or site briefings when scheduled.
- Be available and open to coach at any Upower site when needed.
- Be able to flex and adapt to the needs of each class
- Balance the high level of organization required to be part of a non-profit team with the fun and enthusiasm needed to motivate students
- Must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or legal permanent resident of the United States.
- Must be able to pass all necessary National, State, and County background checks.
- A passion for working with underserved teens.
- Culturally competent with strong communication skills grounded in diversity and cognizant of the fluid intersectionality of underserved communities.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 from previous institution
- Completion of undergraduate level coursework which includes: Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, and Psychology (Sport/Exercise Preferred)
- Experience coaching sports or group fitness is preferred but not required
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- The compensation is $21.67/hour for 20 hours maximum/week
HOW TO APPLY
- Statement of Interest (750-1,000 words) in the MS, Kinesiology program and the Upower Fellowship specifically
- A list of 3 references, including at least one academic reference
Submit all application materials to the M.S. Kinesiology program at Seattle University by June 23, 2021, including: