Faculty and Lecturer Resource Guide

Table of Contents

A&S Policies for Faculty and Staff

What you need, and need to know

Faculty Scholarship and Research

Promotion and Tenure Information

Designing Courses

Conducting Classes

Student Services

SU Email Accounts and Password Information

Seattle U email addresses and SU ID numbers will be assigned once all new faculty paperwork has been turned in and processed. Once you receive your email address and ID number, log on to SU Online to create your password by clicking on "forgot password" under the Personal Profile menu. On this screen, fill in your user name (your SU email address), your name, SU ID number, and birth date. Choose a password.

Training Sessions

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
FERPA is an acronym for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. 1232g, 34 CFR § 99). Congress enacted FERPA, also referred to as the "Buckley Amendment," in 1974. FERPA conditions federal educational funding on providing student access to, and maintaining the privacy of, education records. Faculty, staff, administrators and other university officials are required by FERPA to treat education records in a legally specified manner. To access FERPA training, click here.

The Registrar's Office provides this training to any group who requests it. A representative can come to your meeting place as long as there is an internet connection in the room. To arrange a training session with the registrar's office, click here.

SUDDS (Seattle University Data Delivery System)
SUDDS is a web-based data access tool for faculty and staff. The database currently delivers university Registration information and other reports based on Datatel Colleague. Because the system is web-based, it can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection, on or off campus. Additionally, many will find that it's reporting utilities are more user-friendly than the traditional Datatel interface. To arrange a training session with the SUDDS staff, click here.

Computer and Software Training
Computer Training's goal is to educate the Seattle University community with the latest software technology to ensure their success here on campus and in their lives outside of campus. Details are on the Technology Support Website here.

Campus Card

The Campus Photo ID Card is the Seattle University's library card, electronic door key, elevator key, dining card and campus debit account card. To get a card, visit the IT campus card office in the Engineering Building, room 306B. Please bring a valid drivers license, state ID, or passport. In addition, you will need your seven-digit, student, staff or faculty ID number. If you have any questions, please call the office at (206)296-CARD (2273) or email the Campus Card Office.

Photocopier Instructions with the Campus Card:
1. Press "Account Override"
2. Enter Account Number: "1234"
3. Press "Enter"
4. Swipe Campus Card and Leave in Place
5. Make Copies
6. Don't Forget to Take Your Card and Copies

Office Space and Telephone Information

Lecturers may expect to share an office and/or be located in building other than the Casey building as office space in the Casey building (College of Arts & Sciences) is very limited.  Please contact your Administrative Assistant to find out if office space will be available, its location, and the office phone number.

Placing Calls
Emergency: 5911
SU Operator: 0
Directory Assistance Operator: 90 or (area code) 555-1212
Internal Calls: 4-digit extension

External Local Calls:
Within 206 Area Code: 9 + seven digits
Outside Seattle Area Codes: 9+ 1+ area code+seven digit
Area code 425: 9+ 425 + seven digits
(In some cases, you may need to dial "1" prior to area code 425)

Long Distance Calls:
USA: 9+ 1 + ten digits
International: 9+ 011 + country code+ number
Unblock Calls: 729 + (area code) seven digits

Faculty Technology Support (FTS)

The Information Technology division supports faculty in the use of instructional technology through Faculty Technology Support, formally established in 2001. The FTS offers experienced team support, facilities and programs to Faculty seeking to integrate teaching, technology and media.
To access a FTS and find out more, click here. 

Payroll Information

Salaried Faculty/Staff
Paydays for salaried staff and faculty are on the last working day of the month.

Summer Faculty
Paydays are on the 16th or the Friday before if the 16th falls on a weekend or holiday in July, August.

Lecturer Faculty
Fall: the last working day in October and November
Winter: the last working day in January and February
Spring: the last working day in April and May
Summer: see above schedule

Direct Deposit:
Seattle University requires that faculty and staff enroll in direct deposit (Effective May 1, 2011).  Direct Deposit forms is available in the Human Resource Office and in the payroll Office.

Lecturer Benefits

A. A. Lemieux Library: http ://www.seattleu.edu/library/
206.296.6228 Privileges include:  Instructional Support Services, Borrowing Materials, Searching and Locating Materials, etc.

Seattle University Bookstore
206.296.5820 Bookstore Discount: Textbooks 10% off, General Books 20% off, Office Supplies 20% off, Gifts/Apparel 20% off, Food/Drink 10% off. (Must present Faculty/Staff ID at the cash register.)

Redhawk Center
206.296.6441 Redhawk Center Membership (free): Tennis, Racquetball, Swimming, Weights, Cardio Equipment, Basketball, etc.  Center includes lockers and shower facilities.  Users must bring their own lock for lockers and must remove locks when they leave. To use nautilus equipment, users must purchase a bolt for $1.00 at the front desk. Bolts are used to select weight on the machines and are kept by the users.

Health Benefits
206.296.5870 Please contact your Administrative Assistant or Human Resources regarding your health benefits.

Faculty Development Funds

Tenured, tenure-track and/or FTNTT faculty for whom scholarship and/or creative works are an articulated component of their job responsibilities are eligible for development funds in all categories. They may also apply for student assistantships and research fellowships offered within the College.
FTNNT faculty for whom scholarship and/or creative works are not an articulated component of their job responsibilities are eligible for development funds in Category IV.

Part-time faculty are not eligible for development funds.

Only expenses incurred for the approved event are eligible for reimbursement.  Unused funds will revert to the faculty development funds pool. 

Faculty may submit more than one application, but may only select one category per application. To download the Faculty Development Funds application please click here AY 18_19 Development Application.

Creating Syllabi

All courses should have syllabi that include the professor's name, office location and phone numbers, office hours and, where appropriate, email addresses.  In addition, the following information must be clearly stated in the syllabus:

  • The number and title of the course;
  • the year and quarter taught;
  • if a Core course, the way the course fulfills the goals of Phase I, II, or III for the Core and which prerequisites are required for students to take this course, if any;
  • if a major course, the specific goals and objectives the course has in the major as well as any prerequisites that may be required;
  • a tentative outline of topics, assigned readings, due dates for papers, and exams;
    policies regarding plagiarism, failure to meet deadlines, or to complete portions of a course;
  • policies of the professor regarding grading, including breakdown of how the final grade will be determined, i.e., what percentage of the final grade is allotted to midterm and final exams, papers, quizzes, class attendance, class participation, and other requirements.
  • a statement on Academic Honesty (i.e. plagiarism, cheating

NOTE: Faculty are advised that changes to any of the above policies are best made IN WRITING since many of the students' grievances concern a lack of clarity regarding grading procedures and especially changes in these procedures made during the course of a quarter.

Students and colleagues should submit a copy of each syllabus to the departmental administrative assistant for reference.

Please include in all syllabi the following statements:

Regarding the accommodation of disabilities: "If you have, or think you may have, a disability (including an 'invisible disability' such as a learning disability, a chronic health problem, or a mental health condition) that interferes with your performance as a student in this class, you are encouraged to arrange support services and/or accommodations through Disabilities Services staff in the Learning Center, Loyola 100,  (206) 296-5740 . Disability-based adjustments to course expectations can be arranged only through this process."

Regarding Academic Honesty: "Seattle University is committed to the principle that academic honesty and integrity are important values in the educational process. Violations of academic honesty include, but are not limited to, acts if plagiarism, cheating, submitting false data, submitting work for multiple purposes, and falsifying academic documentation. Academic dishonesty in any form is a serious offense against the academic community. Acts of academic dishonesty will be addressed according to the Academic Honesty Policy.

On-Line Course Descriptions

Faculty are asked to provide descriptions of their courses to their department chair and departmental administrative assistant to be posted on-line.  These descriptions are to be available in the previous quarter in time for registration for the quarter in question.  Lecturers who know they are teaching in an upcoming quarter may be asked to prepare and submit course descriptions to the department's administrative assistant to be entered into the Catalog, which will filter the standard course description into SUOnline. 

Independent Study

Independent study courses may be arranged with students, using a form designed for this purpose.  Though there is no compensation to the instructor for these courses, instructors are occasionally inclined to do them in order to teach a specialty, or work with exceptional students.  The department, however, seeks to keep the number of independent study courses very low.  A situation can very easily arise wherein electives are under-enrolled and have to be cancelled because of too much competition from independent study courses.  Please consult with the Chair before offering or agreeing to teach an independent study course.

Registering a student for Independent Study: Print out an Independent Study Request form to fill out with your student. For Registrar forms including independent study, click here. After filing out the form completely, be sure to attach a syllabus which outlines all academic requirements (paper, exam, etc), learning objectives, deadlines, and contact hours between faculty member and student. This request must be signed by the student, sponsoring faculty member, and department chair before submitting to the Dean's Office for approval.

Final Examinations

Instructors are required to give final examinations for their courses.  This need not be an in-class written exam; it may be a take-home or an oral exam.  However, due to SU Policy, instructors are not allowed to move the final exam from the scheduled final exam period (e. g. moving it to the last day of class).  These scheduled periods are designed to prevent students' tests from occurring all at once.  The final exam schedule is posted on SUONLINE.

Book Orders

HEOA-2010:  The Higher Education Opportunity Act is a new federal law requiring disclosure of costs associated with attending Seattle University.   Seattle University is required to link specific textbook information for every class prior to registration.  This new process began in May. HEOA-2010 states all classes and textbook information must be available at the time of registration for all quarters and semesters.

The College Academic Program Manager will notify faculty regarding the due date for the next term's book orders.  Faculty/Staff are encouraged to use  the online textbook for. If there's a course with No Text Required, please notify the Course Materials Manager in the bookstore. The Department's Administrative Assistant can order desk copies of assigned books if you need them. 

Bookstore Website 

Add-Drop Procedures

Please contact your Department's Administrative Assistant regarding the Department's policy on students who wish to enter a closed course.  Some Departments maintain a waiting list, while others leave it up to the instructor's approval. Authorization to add a course after the official deadline will normally not be granted after the second week of the quarter.  Authorization will be granted by the Assistant Dean for Student Academic Support only with the written approval of the instructor of the course and only if the student has been attending class regularly since at least the start of the second week of the quarter.  Authorization will always require the written agreement of the instructor of the course. 

Students can drop a class during the add/drop period at the beginning of every quarter. When a student drops a class there is no record of that class on the student's transcript. Students can appeal for a late drop after the end of the add/drop period by requesting a late drop petition from the Dean's Office, but it will only be granted in cases of clear institutional error. After the add/drop period, students can withdraw from classes through week 6 of the term. See Withdrawal from Courses" below for further information.

Overload Procedures

Although full-time academic status only requires 12 credits, students typically take 15 credits per quarter at SU. Students can take up to 18 credits without overload approval. 

Students may automatically register for up to 20 credits per quarter on SU Online IF they have met all of the following requirements: Sophomore standing or above, have attended SU at least one quarter, and have earned a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher in courses at SU. 

Students who are graduating seniors and need certain courses to graduate but do not meet the minimum GPA requirement may submit the Petition to the Dean for Credit Overload (see Forms from the Registrar's Office). This form must be signed by the student's advisor and returned to the Dean's Office.  The academic record of the student will be reviewed thoroughly by the Assistant Dean for Student Academic Support before approval. Any students with a GPA below 3.5 can petition to overload but these petitions are rarely granted.  First time SU students (those without an SU GPA) and students on probation may NOT register or appeal for an overload.

Withdrawal from Courses

Students may add and drop courses on SU Online through the first week of each quarter. Students may not drop courses except in cases of institutional error after the add/drop deadline.

Withdrawal: The deadline for withdrawing from a course is published quarterly in the "Schedule of Classes."  Faculty are reminded that students on probation or receiving financial aid may be violating the conditions of either status by withdrawing from classes.  Therefore, before advising students to withdraw from a class, faculty should tactfully inquire about the student's status and inform them of possible consequences.  Students on financial aid should be advised to consult an advisor in that office BEFORE proceeding to withdraw since financial aid of often predicated on the student taking a minimum number of credits.  Official withdrawal is accomplished when a student presents a completed "Withdrawal Request" form, which must bear the signature of the instructor of the course, to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline published in the University calendar. If a student does not withdrawal by the deadline, he or she must receive the grade earned. No withdrawals will be granted after the last day to withdrawal except in cases of Hardship Withdrawal.

Hardship WithdrawalA "Hardship Withdrawal" can be assigned at any time during the quarter as long as a medically documented request is forwarded along with the "Petition to the Dean" and the request is approved.  A grade of "HW" is assigned to the student's transcript.  A "Hardship Withdrawal" is assigned only for extremely grave reasons.  Some examples of grave reasons include the following: inability of a student to attend class due to an extraordinary family crisis or to a sudden, long-term illness.  Should you have a student in one of these situations, please have them contact the Assistant Dean for Student Academic Services immediately.

International Students Withdrawing from Courses: Course withdrawal by international students may endanger their status with the University and the Federal Government. Advise these students to first contact the International Student Center to fully understand the implications of withdrawal on their immigration status. You may also refer these students to the Academic Advising Support Center in the Dean's office of the Casey building for advising support and withdrawal form preparation assistance.

Petition to the Dean and Petition for Exception to Policy forms

Please note that two forms, "Petition to the Dean," and "Petition to Exception to Policy" (also known as P.E.P.) have to be signed by the Assistant Dean for Student Academic Services. All applicable signatures and attachments must be complete before submitting to the Dean's Office front desk staff who are responsible for tracking the progress of all student petitions as they are under review.

Class Rosters

Up to date class rosters are available under the Faculty section of SU Online. From this roster you can email a student individually or the class as a whole. NOTE: Students who are registered for a class but who do not attend during the first two weeks may justifiably be advised by the instructor to withdraw from the course.

Submitting Grades

Professors assign letter grades (with plus or minus if appropriate) through SU Online.  Grades must be submitted by 10:00 a.m. of the date indicated in each quarter's Schedule of Classes or the University's academic calendar.  It is extremely important that grades are submitted on time since they are posted by the evening of the date scheduled and sent to students the next day. Missing grades impact students' financial aid, probation and dismissal decisions, graduation and more.

Grade Privacy

Seattle University interprets the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) as prohibiting professors from sharing student grades with other students.  This means that papers and exams with grades and comments on them should not be left for student to pick up in a public place, such as box outside an office door.  Try, as much as possible, to return assignments in class or, if there are assignments due at the end of a term, to have students retrieve them from you the following term.

Student Grievance Procedures

Student may grieve their final grade for a course.  (Grades leading up to the final grades are not subject to grievance procedures.)  The grievance policy is set forth in the Seattle University Student Handbook.  The Student Handbook outlines the procedures students should follow if they believe they have an academic grievance with a faculty member. The Associated Dean for Students oversees the grievance procedures in the College, solicits members (faculty and students) for the Grievance Review panel, and meets with students, Chairs, and faculty to ensure a fair and consistent policy in regard to grievances.  Every effort is made to handle grievances on an informal basis as stated in the Student Handbook.  Faculty members who have any questions should consult the appropriate divisional Associate Dean.

Changing Grades

Once grades have been verified by the Office of the Registrar (24 hours after submission), a grade can be change for one of two reasons: 1) A clerical/calculational error by instructor, or 2) the decision of a formal grade grievance review board. Changes are made through SU Online Grade Change. 

Incomplete Grading Options

The grading option of an Incomplete ("I") should be considered by a faculty member when a student, for good reason, has difficulty completing a final exam or paper for a course.  Incompletes are appropriate only if the student has completed substantial requirements of the course and has only a project or exam outstanding.  If an Incomplete is granted, the students must complete the academic work, according to the University policy, by the first six weeks of the next quarter (excluding summer session).  Faculty members should draw up with the student a written contract specifying the nature of the work to be done and appropriate deadlines. The appropriate divisional Associate Dean oversees this process in the College and, where necessary, grants extensions to a student upon the recommendation of the faculty member, up to two additional quarters beyond the normal deadline.  It is required by policy 97-3 that the instructor indicates a provisional grade that the student will receive should the remaining required work not be completed. I grades may be submitted and changed online.  If an "I" grade is to be extended past the allotted time, then a Petition for Exception to Policy is required.

Office Hours

When office space is available, lecturer faculty should schedule at least two hours a week for office hours.  Increasingly, students find that telephone and email provide satisfying means of communicating with instructors.

Attendance Policy

The classroom experience is an essential and intrinsic element of the educative process.  In any course in which attendance is necessary to the achievement of a clearly defined set of course objectives, it may be a valid consideration in determining the student's grade.  While there is no all-university regulation requiring class attendance, it is the responsibility of the instructor to state the relevance of attendance at the beginning of each course.  It is recommended that this statement be included in the course syllabus.

ESL Students

Many students for whom English is a second language are still struggling with English, and this creates extra difficulties in a writing-intensive field such as philosophy.  It can be frustrating for faculty to try to assess papers with significant language problems.  A general strategy is to maintain standards while helping students to strategize about how to improve their skills and to get editing help.  It is encouraging to know that a study of grade point averages among Seattle University students revealed that international students as a group start out with lower-than-average GPA's, but have higher than average ones by their senior year.  This data would seem to reflect that they are typically willing to work hard to meet the language standards that are set for them.

Policy on Food and Drink in the Classroom

The consumption of food is not permitted in the classroom except by express permission of the instructor who should clearly state his or her expectations in the first class session.  Faculty should be mindful of two considerations: (1) that some students must consume either food or drink for medical reasons and (2) that the consumption of food, especially in a conspicuous manner, is distracting to others trying to concentrate.

Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services provides free, confidential service for enrolled students, offering individual, couples, and group counseling.  Skill-building workshops on topics such as stress management, assertiveness training, life-change adjustments, and relationship enhancement are also provided.  By appointment or walk-in.

The Learning Center 

Instructors will need to work with the Learning Center to accommodate students with physical or learning disabilities.  Most often this situation takes the form of students taking their exams in the Learning Center so as to have more time or to use a computer.  The Learning Center notifies the instructor if a student has made such a request and then the student follows through on making arrangements with the instructor. While the University is required to accommodate disabilities, the intention is that students with disabilities should meet the same academic standards as other students do.  If an instructor feels that a particular accommodation would compromise standards, he or she should discuss this with the Chair of his/her Department.

The Writing Center 

The Writing Center provides student tutors to assist other students in generating paper ideas, formulating theses, organizing writing, and editing.  Tutors collaborate with students to make informed judgments about what aspects of their writing project need the most attention.  Consultation is by appointment.  Representatives from the writing center can visit classes, offering presentations on how to get the most benefit out of the Writing Center.