Equal Opportunity Schools Communications Intern
Posted by Communication Department on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 11:52 AM PDT
Equal Opportunity Schools (EOS) is an education not-for-profit organization dedicated to changing lives and narrowing the achievement gap by addressing inequity in our schools, especially among students who are Latinx, African American, or low-income. Our work focuses specifically on equitable access and success in Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) classes.
Equal Opportunity Schools’ mission is to ensure students of all backgrounds have equal access to America’s most academically intense high school programs—and particularly that low-income students and students of color have opportunities to succeed at the highest levels.
We are seeking a Communications Intern to join our growing, continuously improving, high-impact, mission-driven organization If you are a student majoring in Journalism, Communications, or a related field with an interest in valuable networking possibilities and on-the-job experience, you may be just the person for this exciting Internship opportunity on our Marketing Communications team! The Communications Intern will work directly with our Marketing Communications Manager.
This job might be for you if:
You are committed to equity. You steadfastly believe that all students – particularly students of color and low-income students – should have opportunities to access and succeed in the most academically rigorous high school programs. You understand that working for equity is a continual journey and you are motivated by a passion for that journey.
Within Your Role, You Will Have the Opportunity To
- Develop original content for external and internal use.
• Write a variety of abstracts, articles, press releases, internal announcements, website copy,
and newsletter copy
• Write case studies (district, school, program, and leadership)
• Write/revise collateral content
- Identify customer and student testimonials for campaign usage
- Website copywriting
- Social media content creation, campaign development, execution, and analysis
- Creating media lists
- Provide communication team administrative function support
- Excellent oral and written communications
- Journalism skills writing and editing (i.e. blogs, media events, and web sites, etc.) (entry level experience appreciated)
- Knowledge of Press Releases standards
- Knowledge of social media platform and software
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, work independently and under pressure
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic and high attention to detail
- Thrives in a collaborative work environment
- Interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively
- MS Office competence
HOW TO APPLY
If this position description excites you and you feel you would be a good fit with the EOS team, please apply by sending us your cover letter and resume.
- Cover letter describing your educational experience and related skills
- Resume outlining your work history and/or experience to date (classes taken)
- Three to five professional references (you may include professors, if needed)
The address is firstname.lastname@example.org. We will check references prior to making an offer. In addition, due to the types of data we collect for our clients, we perform criminal background checks on applicants before making an offer. If you have any questions about these checks, please contact the hiring manager, Tofa, at Tofa@eoschools.org. Preference will be given to applicants who are currently enrolled as a college student, or recent college graduates, majoring in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field.
Equal Opportunity Schools is an Equal Opportunity Minority / Female / Individuals with Disabilities / Protected Veteran and Affirmative Action Employer. Equal Opportunity Schools considers for employment and hires qualified candidates without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, protected veteran or disability status or any factor prohibited by law. Equal Opportunity Schools provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures and/or process.