President Stephen Sundborg, S.J., laid out his vision for Seattle University in an address to key stakeholders on Tuesday, August 23. Approximately 250 trustees, regents, advisory board members, alumni and other university supporters gathered in Pigott Auditorium for Father Sundborg’s State of the University address, in which he outlined seven goals for the next seven years:
• Strengthening academics so that SU is the first choice for more and more prospective students;
• Investing in undergraduate science learning and research, and building a new science facility;
• Capitalizing on the global emphasis of a Jesuit education;
• Moving forward with the Seattle University Youth Initiative;
• Deepening our identity as a Catholic and Jesuit university;
• Forming every student as a leader; and
• Achieving championship athletics at the highest level.
The president also identified four elements that are critical to realizing the seven goals: strengthening the university’s finances through budget efficiencies, philanthropy and new sources of revenue; conducting a successful capital campaign; expanding or developing new partnerships with organizations and companies in the fields of technology, biomedicine, sustainability and global health; and telling the SU story widely, consistently and positively.
Casey Corr & Mike Thee
Seattle University Marketing.