Advancement Services

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Raiser's Edge used for?

    Raiser's Edge is the software program used to house our Alumni and Donor Database. It is used to store biographic, gift, education, and event participation information, as well as to track communication history and moves management steps for our university donors, alumni, and friends. It is a common source for mail/email distribution lists and contains many gift and prospect management reporting features.

    How can I become an Alumni and Donor Database user?

    Complete the request form here and you will be contacted by Advancement Services staff. To become an Alumni and Donor Database user, working with alumni and donor data must be an integral part of your job. Typically, Alumni and Donor Database access is generally limited to University Advancement personnel only but we can discuss how to best serve your data needs.

    I am not able to access the Alumni SUDDS report. How can I gain access?

    Send your request for Alumni SUDDS report access to  Before gaining access, you must have up to date FERPA training.

    I just received updated contact information for an individual. How do I get those changes made in the Alumni and Donor Database?

    Send your updates along with the name and Constituent ID of the individual you want changed to

    I received word from an individual who no longer wants to receive mail from SU. How do I get that marked in the Alumni and Donor Database?

    Determine what kind of mail or email the individual is opting out of receiving in the future: solicitation from a specific school, the SU magazine, emails from athletics, etc. Send that request along with the individual's ID and name to

    When should I send biographical updates to  When should I send them to

    If you have changes to 50 or fewer records, send them to BioUpdates. If you have a larger list of constituents needing updates, send them to REHelp. For larger lists of changes, you may be contacted by Advancement Services to coordinate the scheduling of your record updates.

    Why is this constituent record marked as inactive? How can I get it reactivated?

    Constituents may be inactivated for a variety of reasons. If you are unsure why the record was inactivated, check that Constituent's Notes tab and view any "Record Inactivation" notepads. This notepad will contain the reason why the record was inactivated. To get a record reactivated, send that constituent's name and ID to REHelp.

    What constituents get added to the Alumni and Donor Database?

    The following types of Constituent records are added to the Alumni and Donor Database:

    • All who graduate from Seattle University earning graduate or undergraduate degree or certification.
    • Undergraduate students who earn 90 or more credits from SU but did not graduate.
    • Current undergrad seniors and 3-L Law students
    • Parents of incoming, traditional aged undergraduate students.
    • Prospects identified by Development Officers as those who will enter the cultivation process.
    • Current staff, faculty and adjunct faculty.
    • Anyone who makes a donation to SU.
    • Varsity sport season ticket holders.
    • University volunteers, including advisory board members, who are not monetarily compensated for their time.
    • Participants of SU's Magis Program.

    Should I use the Alumni and Donor Database to track my contacts or continue to use my spreadsheet (or other database)?

    The Alumni and Donor Database should be used to track all alumni and donor contacts. If you have an external database containing alumni or donor contact information, you will not benefit from the ongoing data updates taking place in the Alumni and Donor Database. Also, your updates won't be shared with other stakeholders around campus. If you would like to move your contact information into the Alumni and Donor Database, contact

    I received a gift to the university, how to I get it added to the Alumni and Donor Database?

    You may drop off gifts between 7am and 5pm at the Advancement Services office (ADMN 305B) with a staff person. If no one is available to leave the gift with, please leave the check(s) with the front desk receptionist (ADMN 120). Share any extra verbal information about the gift with the person you leave the gift with. If no one is at the front desk or if your delivery falls outside of the hours listed above, secure the gift in your area until the next business day. In-house mail is available for check delivery, but not recommended. If you choose to use this method, please let Advancement Services know to expect its arrival. To ensure that a check is not lost or tossed, please do not leave them on unattended chairs, desks or mailboxes.

    A donor desires to give their credit card information for making a gift. What information do I need to obtain?

    If a donor wants to give their credit card number to make a gift, obtain the following information to ensure accurate processing:

    • Gift Amount
    • Fund designation
    • Credit Card number
    • Expiration Date
    • Name as it appears on card
    • Donor phone number

    Note: Any credit card information you take must be securely stored and immediately destroyed (shredded) after use.

    How do I go about requesting a mailing list or report from the Alumni and Donor Database?

    Use Advancement Services' Data Request form. Once submitted, you may be contacted by Advancement Services staff to clarify your request.

    I'm planning to do a solicitation. Who should I coordinate my efforts with?

    Contact our Annual Giving office at if you are planning to do a solicitation. They can help you with scheduling and advice. If after this conversation you need a mailing/emailing list pulled, use the Data Request form. Also, be sure to inform the Gift Processing manager of your plans so his/her team are better prepared for the data entry of your incoming gifts.

    I'm planning an event and would like to track it in the Alumni and Donor Database. Who should I coordinate my efforts with?

    Fill out the Event Record Request form found on the Advancement Services website and email it to An Event record will then be set up for you in the database. Contact the Alumni Relations office if your event is alumni related and with the Special Events team who can provide tips and best practices for executing a successful event.

    How do we define "lost alumni"?

    A lost alumnus is an alumnus we are unable to contact: we have no valid mailing address, no phone number and no email address for that individual. If an alumnus tells us they do not want to be contacted by Seattle University, they are not considered "lost".

  •  Gift Questions button

    Bio Update button

    RE Question button

    SUDDs button