• Frequently Asked Questions

    Do you offer budget training?

    The University Budget Office offers an orientation for cost center managers on a bimonthly basis.  Please contact us if you have questions about how to manage your budgets.

    Is there a glossary of Financial Terms?

    Yes! The University Budget Office has created the Essential Terms for New Cost Center Managers.  It can be accessed by using your SU credentials and logging in here.

    What is the difference between base budget and current year budget?

    Budget – Financial resources allocated to a cost center which provide financial support for particular activities.  These funds come from the major revenue streams of the institution (i.e. tuition). 

    Base Budget – the default budget of a cost center. The base budget rolls forward from fiscal year to fiscal year until actively changed.

    Current Year Budget – reflects base budget and all one-time budget adjustments within the fiscal year 

    What is SUDDS? How do I get access to SUDDS? How do I get SUDDS training?

    SUDDS (Seattle University Data Delivery System) is the university's data warehouse and reporting platform. Reports hosted by SUDDS are developed by both Institutional Research and the Office of Information Technology. SUDDS is accessed via Internet browsers and requires a SU login and FERPA training.

    To request access contact sudds@seattleu.edu.

    For one-on-one training on SUDDS Financial Reports please email kellerak@seattleu.edu or go to http://www.seattleu.edu/planning/Default.aspx?id=50172 to see  upcoming training opportunities.

    Are Financial Reports available?

    Better and more robust reporting is a priority of the University Budget Office, and the Finance Division as a whole. We are working hard to provide this. Divisional, departmental, and cost center budget managers should use the four SUDDS financial reports found in the Financials (GL) folder.

    Over/Under Reports and Gift Activity and Balance Reports are provided quarterly to Divisional Budget Managers.

    Mark Schoen, Financial and Information Systems Senior Analyst, provides monthly FRX reports.

    Do I have money left in my budget?

    Refer to SUDDS, GL Budget Summary Report.

    Who is responsible for my area's budgets?

    A list of Seattle University's Major Financial Managers can be found here.

    What is a budget transfer?

    The purpose of a budget transfer is to provide for increased budget authorization levels.

    Budget transfers can be used to:

    • Transfer budget within a department's major expenditure categories: Salary, Non-Salary / Travel and Equipment.
    • Transfer budget between departments. This generally funds expenditures exceeding original budget allocations.

    Budget transfers are not for:

    • Charging or reimbursement between departments. This activity would be properly handled with a Journal Entry Request.
    • Transferring funds to other fund groups such as Auxillary, Agency, Restricted, Grants, Plant, or Endowment funds. (i.e. budget transfers can only be done between like fund numbers 11 to 11 or 41 to 41)

    For more information on budget transfers click here or contact Kerry Keller-Ash (X2206).

    What is a journal entry?

    The purpose of a journal entry is to charge or reimburse between departments. If faculty salary dollars are being charged or reimbursed one must use the Payroll Action Form.  Once your journal entry has been processed, you will receive a completed copy of the executed from Rita Lin (salary dollars) or Matthew Bird (non-salary dollars). Also you will see the journal entry in SUDDS, GL Detail Ledger Report. 

    Journal Entry Form 

    What is the account structure at Seattle University?

    Financial Coding Structure – is a 13 digit number comprised of a fund #, cost center (department) #, and account #.  The code signifies to the University where an expense is charged or revenue is credited.
    Fund – The first 2 digits of the Financial Coding Structure which identifies the source and intended purposes of financial resources.  In most cases one uses the operational funds of the institution: 11, 12 & 23.
    Cost Center (Department) – a 6 digit unique identifier within the Financial Coding Structure specific to an organizational unit (e.g. Mailing Services, Bookstore, Honors, Diagnostic Ultrasound, ASSU Activities, Human Resources)
    Account – the last 5 digits of the Financial Coding Structure which identify the type of financial activity (e.g. salary expense, travel expense, gift revenue, tuition revenue)

    How do I find out what a fund code signifies?

    Click here to learn about fund codes.

    How do I find out what an account code signifies?

    Click here for a list of commonly used account codes. 

    Who manages a certain budget?

    Contact the University Budget Office at 296-2206.




    Phone: 206-296-2206
    Fax: 206-296-6147

    Mailing Address: 901-12th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122-1090
    Campus Location: University Services Building, Room 107