Financial Aid

  • The Student Financial Services Office is prepared to help you activate your Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits. If you're intending to use GI Bill benefits, it's important you meet with us for direction. There are several different GI Bills with different eligibility requirements and benefits. We're here to help move you through the process of getting the best benefits possible.

    Getting Started with Veterans' Education Benefits

    Step 1: Visit  and Apply for Benefits

    This is the official Depart­ment of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits website.  Here you'll be able to compare benefits and decide which is best for you. Once you decide to apply, you should go to , click on "Apply for Benefits" then click on "Launch VONAPP" and apply for benefits.

    You can also call VA Education at 1-888-442-4551. Choose option 1 then 0 on the touch tone system. 

    Step 2: Apply to SU and File your FAFSA

    Once you've applied to the university, you'll receive a Student Identification Number (SID). Obtaining your SID is required before we can begin a file for you.

    At this time we also recommend you file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), so you can determine if you are eligible for any other State and Federal aid.  

    Step 3: Collect and Submit documents to Student Financial Services

    Be prepared to provide various documents including but not limited to:

    •  Your DD-214 (member-4 copy only)
    •  Certificate of Eligibility Letter (CH 30, 33, 35, and 1607 only)
    •  Kicker Documentation (if applicable)
    •  Notice of Basic Eligibility (CH 1606 only)

    Email these documents to the Veterans Certifying Officials directly at, subject line "VA Benefits," or stop by during our walk-in hours. We are located at in the University Services Building room 105.

    Note: Obtaining your DD-214

     If you do not have a copy of your DD-214 here are some ways you can get one.

    1. Go to 1st floor of the  Henry M. Jackson Federal Building
      (915 2nd AVE in Seattle, WA 98174) and ask for a "Statement of Service" document
    2. Download and complete a SF180 form from and mail or fax it to:
       National Personnel Records Center
      9700 Page Avenue
      St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
      Fax: (314) 801-9195
    3. Log on to, register and check if your service records are available