Seattle University Youth Initiative: Fund for Engagement
About the Seattle University Youth Initiative
The Seattle University Youth Initiative (SUYI) is a long-term commitment by Seattle University faculty, staff and students from all disciplines to join with parents, the Seattle Public School District, the City of Seattle, funders, faith communities and more than 30 community organizations to help children of Seattle succeed in school and life. Both SUYI and the Fund are coordinated through the Center for Service & Community Engagement (CSCE).
About the SUYI Fund for Engagement
The SUYI Fund for Engagement (FFE) provides funds to Seattle University faculty, staff and/or student organizations to support the expansion of existing programs and/or the creation of new activities related to the Initiative. Proposed projects must address improving the quality of life of youth and families residing in the SUYI target area, and applicants should be prepared to demonstrate strong working relationships with community partners.
The recipients for the 2012-2013 Fund for Engagement have been selected. Please see the link above for more information and consider applying next year!
FFE Overview & Guidelines
The 2012-13 Fund for Engagement consists of two tracks for consideration: one track for projects whose primary activity is planning and the other track whose activity is implementation. Each track is for specific types of activities, as detailed below.
Viable Grant Activities
Planning Grants: We are seeking proposals that engage one or more of the following types of activities:
- Redeveloping internship, practica, clinical or field placements to significantly connect with SUYI neighborhood organizations and institutions
- Strategic planning around department curricula to enhance SUYI related community-based learning opportunities for students
- Planning for and offering workshops on specific topics related to SUYI goals and/or working with SUYI community partners
- Enhancing existing or creating new programs that provide a service to SUYI neighborhood organizations, youth and families
- Planning events in partnership with the community
Implementation Grants: We are seeking proposals that will immediately impact the SUYI Action Plan including, but not limited to:
- Health promotion
- Academic support
- Summer enrichment activities
- Family support services
- College preparation programs
- Advocacy activities
For additional ideas see list of 2011-12 awardees.