Applying for the Sullivan Leadership Award
Applicants must submit the following documents by November 15, 2012 to be considered for the Award:
Application for Admission to Seattle University
- Common Application 2012-13 First-Year Application, including Secondary School Report and one Teacher Evaluation**
- Seattle University Supplemental Application for Undergraduate Admission
- Official high school transcript, including a listing of senior-year coursework to be completed
- ACT or SAT scores (these must be received by November 15 to be considered for the Award; we cannot await results from the November 2011 administration of the SAT)
- $55 application fee (or fee waiver from the high school counselor)
Application for the Sullivan Leadership Award
- Sullivan Leadership Award Application Form.
- Letter of Intent: A letter of intent to the Selection Committee describing your experiences and interests as they relate to any three of the following program values. Please limit the letter of intent to one page, single-spaced. Please title this document INTENT.
Leadership Service Social Justice Academic Excellence
Community Spirituality Global Awareness
- Leadership Resume: A resume of service and leadership experiences. This may include experiences in student government, athletics, the arts, religious service groups, community service and part-time employment. It is appropriate to note service and education abroad experiences here as well. Awards, special recognitions and honor society memberships should be included. Please follow the format and instructions given on the resume example. DO NOT include GPA or test scores. Please limit the resume to two pages. Please title this document RESUME.
- Leadership Essay: To begin learning about this year's theme of "The ubiquity of plastic in our lives," please read “Marcus Eriksen is a Plastic Radical,” paying close attention to the development of Marcus Eriksen's leadership style over time. Then write an essay about your own leadership trajectory, providing specific examples of the ways in which your leadership style has evolved and how you see it developing into the future. The Leadership Essay serves as a sample of the applicant’s thinking and writing skills while giving the Selection Committee a fuller perspective. The Personal Essay written for the Common Application will not satisfy this essay requirement; Sullivan Leadership Award applicants will need to submit both the Common Application Personal Essay and the Sullivan Leadership Essay. Please double space the Leadership Essay and limit it to two pages. Please title this document ESSAY.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: The letters should note the objectives of the Sullivan Leadership Award and address the applicant’s record of service and leadership. These references must be specific to the Award criteria. We suggest obtaining one recommendation from a classroom teacher and the other from an advisor, supervisor, coach or teacher familiar with your extracurricular efforts. The Common Application's Teacher Evaluation and Secondary School Report will not satisfy the Sullivan letters of recommendation requirement but will serve to the applicant's advantage in the admission application process.
Sullivan Leadership Award Online Application
These links will take you to online forms where you can submit the various components of your Sullivan Leadership Award Application.
All parts of the Sullivan application must be submitted by November 15, 2012.
Sullivan Leadership Award Application
Sullivan applicants are applying for admission through the Early Action admission option, which is not binding. Early Action admission decisions will be mailed by December 24, 2012.
Sullivan Letters of Recommendation
Please forward the following link to those who will submit your letter of recommendation:
Application documents become the property of Seattle University and cannot be returned or forwarded to a third party outside the university.
Letter of Recommendation Form.