Applying for the Sullivan Leadership Award
Applicants must submit the following documents by November 15, 2013 to be considered for the Award:
Application for Admission to Seattle University
- Common Application 2013-14 First-Year Application, including Secondary School Report and one Teacher Evaluation. The Common Application also includes the Seattle University Member Section.
- Official high school transcript, including a listing of senior-year coursework to be completed
- ACT or SAT scores (these must be received by November 15 to be considered for the Award; we cannot await results from the November administration of the SAT)
- $55 application fee (or fee waiver from the high school counselor)
Application for the Sullivan Leadership Award
- Sullivan Leadership Award Application Form.
- Letter of Intent: A letter of intent to the Selection Committee describing the applicant's experiences and interests as they relate to any three of the following program values: Academic Excellence, Service, Leadership, Community, Spirituality and Global Engagement. Please limit the letter of intent to one page, single-spaced. Please title this document INTENT.
- Leadership Resume: A resume of service and leadership experiences. This may include experiences in student government, athletics, the arts, religious service groups, community service and part-time employment. It is appropriate to note service and education abroad experiences here as well. Awards, special recognitions and honor society memberships should be included. Please follow the format and instructions given on the resume example . DO NOT include GPA or test scores. Please limit the resume to two pages. Please name the file RESUME.
- Leadership Essay: To begin learning about this year's theme of "Finding ways to reduce teen homelessness," please read about two White House Champions of Change, Sol Flores and Lisa Stambolis, paying close attention to their leadership roles. Then reflect on your own service and leadership roles in your school or community and write an essay about your own leadership trajectory, providing specific examples of the ways in which your leadership style has evolved through time and how you see it developing into the future. The Leadership Essay serves as a sample of the applicant’s thinking and writing skills while giving the Selection Committee a fuller perspective. We do not expect applicants to have worked with homeless youth. The Leadership Essay should be double-spaced and limited to two pages in length. Please name the file ESSAY.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: We suggest obtaining one recommendation from a classroom teacher who can address your academic performance, oral and written communication skills, and interactions with peers. The second letter should come from a supervisor, coach, teacher or other individual familiar with your extracurricular efforts who can discuss your interpersonal relationships, responsibility, and community involvement. Both letter writers are encouraged to include evidence of the applicant's growth in the dedication to service and leadership.The Common Application's Teacher Evaluation and Secondary School Report will not satisfy the Sullivan letters of recommendation requirement but will serve to the applicant's advantage in the admission application process.
Sullivan Leadership Award Online Application
These links will take you to online forms where you can submit the various components of your Sullivan Leadership Award Application.
All parts of the Sullivan application must be submitted by November 15, 2013.
Sullivan Leadership Award Application
Sullivan applicants are applying for admission through the Early Action admission option, which is not binding. Early Action admission decisions will be mailed by December 24, 2013.
Sullivan Letters of Recommendation
Please forward the following link to those who will submit your letter of recommendation.
Application documents become the property of Seattle University and cannot be returned or forwarded to a third party outside the university.