Site Map | Contact | Directory
Dr. Langenhan’s teaching interests include Organic Chemistry and Bioorganic Chemistry.Dr. Langenhan’s research involves redesigning biological molecules, with the twin goals of understanding their functions and modulating their activities. Current research efforts are focused on modified oligonucleotides and antimicrobial agents.
After receiving a B.S. in Chemistry from Allegheny College in 1998, Dr. Langenhan pursued graduate studies with Professor Samuel H. Gellman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and earned a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry in 2003. He then conducted two years of post-doctoral research with Professor Jon S. Thorson at the Laboratory for Biosynthetic Chemistry in the School of Pharmacy at the University of Wisconsin-Madison before moving to Seattle University.
8. Langenhan, J.M.; Mullarky, E.; Rohlfing, J.; Rogalsky, D.R.; Werner, H.; Tjaden, A. ; Rozal, L. "Total Synthesis of Amphimedosides A-C," manuscript in preparation.
7. Langenhan, J.M.; Endo, M.M.; Engle, J.M.; Fukumoto, L.L.; Rogalsky, D.R.; Slevin, L.K.; Fay, L.R.; Lucker, R.W.; Rohlfing, J.R.; Smith, K.R.; Tjaden, A.E.; Werner, H.M.Carbohydr. Res., in press. “Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of RON-Neoglycosides as Tumor Cytotoxins.”
6. Alaimo, P.J.; Langenhan, J.M.; Suydam, I.T. “Thinking like a scientist in the organic chemistry lab: Designing experiments to generate data for analysis and discussion,” manuscript in preparation.
5. Iyer, A.; Zhou, M.; Azad, N.; Elbaz, H.; Wang, L.; Rogalsky, D.K.; Rojanasakul, Y.; O’Doherty, G.A.; Langenhan, J.M. ACS Med. Chem. Lett.2010, 1, 326-330. “A Direct Comparison of the Anticancer Activities of Digitoxin MeON-Neoglycosides and O-Glycosides.”
4. Alaimo, P.J.; Marshall, A.-L.; Andrews, D.M.; Langenhan, J.M. Org. Synth.2010, 87, 192-200. “1,3,5-Triacetylbenzene.”
3. Langenhan, J.M.; Alaimo, P.J.; Tanner, M.J.; Ferrenberg, S.M., J. Chem. Educ., 2010, 87, 856-861. “Safety teams: An Approach to Engage Students in Laboratory Safety.”
· Chemical & Engineering News blog feature: http://cenblog.org/the-safety-zone/2010/07/undergrad-laboratory-safety-teams/ (7/7/2010)
· Editorial highlight in J. Chem. Educ.2010, 87, 764-765
2. Alaimo, P.J.; Bean, J.C.; Langenhan, J.M.; Nichols, L. Writing Across the Curriculum Journal, 2009, 20, 17-32. “Eliminating Lab Reports: A Rhetorical Approach for Teaching the Scientific Paper in Sophomore Organic Chemistry.”
· Podcast highlight in Science: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6032/919/suppl/D
1. Langenhan, J.M.; Engle, J.M.; Slevin, L.K.; Fay, L.R.; Lucker, R.W.; Smith, K.R.; Endo, M.M.Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett.2008, 18, 670-673. “Modifying the Glycosidic Linkage in Digitoxin Analogs Provides Selective Cytotoxins.”
CONTACT | PUBLIC SAFETY | CAREERS | RSS
Copyright 2008 - College of Science and Engineering, Seattle University.