Steps in Implementing Academic Adjustments:
1. The student meets with Disabilities Services staff to provide documentation of a disability and to request accommodation.
2. Disabilities Services staff determines whether the academic adjustment is supported by appropriate documentation.
3. Disabilities Services staff writes to faculty describing the needed academic adjustment.
4. Faculty consults with Disabilities Services staff or the designated administrator of the school about ways to provide reasonable accommodation*,raising concerns regarding any potentially "unreasonable" academic adjustments.
*An accommodation is “unreasonable” if it requires a change in the essential nature of a course or program creates an administrative “hardship” in implementation significantly compromises the health or safety of the student or others.
5. The student initiates discussion with faculty of any specific support or arrangements needed to access accommodations.
6. Faculty makes adjustments to implement the academic adjustment.
7. Disabilities Services staff provide services and aids, such as interpreters or tape recorders, to support the adjustment.