Making Student Referrals
Advisors can play a primary role in connecting students with other campus services. Many students are not aware of the help available to them and need some initial support identifying and negotiating contact with the support services they need.
Know your campus resources
Use the links listed on this page access to the referral resources advisors most commonly need. Go to the Key Consultants Information page to learn the names of professional program staff available for consultation. Go to the Referral Resources page to access and familiarize yourself with campus offices and their services.
When in Doubt
If you need assistance with a student issue and you are unsure who to call among the referral resources listed, contact the following individuals:
- For issues affecting academic performance, contact: Carol Schneider, Director of Student Academic Services, at 296-5741
- For social, emotional & behavioral concerns, contact: Jacob Diaz, Assistant VP for Student Development, at 296-6066
For Further Skill Building
To polish your skills and increase you success rate in this area, visit the NACADA website for "Tips on Making Effective Referrals in Academic Advising". Learn more about:
- Listening to clues and identifying the resources students need.
- Providing sufficient information and "coaching" to help make a successful referral.
- Following up with students on their experience with the referral determining next steps.