Seattle University Mission Statement for Advising
Seattle University recognizes that academic advising is integral to the achievement of our educational mission. Academic advising at Seattle University is guided by our values: care, academic excellence, diversity, faith, justice, and leadership.
Academic advising is a partnership among students, faculty, and staff, with the goal of helping students to develop as educated persons, as engaged citizens, as professionals, and as leaders. Academic advising helps students to plan wisely their educational path with personal and professional development always in view, to take full advantage of the academic and co-curricular programs of the university, and to develop strong personal connections with the university community. To achieve these goals, the University commits itself to providing excellent training, support, and recognition of advisors as well as providing students and advisors with timely and accurate information concerning its processes and policies.
Graduate and Undergraduate Student Outcomes
As a result of their advising experience, students will
- Be knowledgeable and make use of available university resources for academic planning and professional and personal development.
- Develop their program-approved academic plan of study to complete their degree or program requirements.
- Develop the knowledge, habits, and skills needed in order to realize their goals for the future, including, where appropriate, required professional competencies.
- Articulate their academic, professional, and personal goals in pursuing a Seattle University degree.
- Fully participate in course work, cooperative learning experiences (in and outside the classroom), and appropriate educational experiences.
- Explore career possibilities and further educational opportunities after graduation.