Placement in Mathematics
A First-year student without Advanced Placement calculus credit or previous college mathematics credits will take one or more of the following mathematics courses as determined by the placement criteria explained below:
- UCOR 1200 Mathematics and Quantitative Reasoning
- MATH 1020 Functions and Algebraic Methods (fall, winter, spring)
- MATH 1120 College Algebra for Business (fall, winter, spring)
- MATH 1321 Precalculus: Algebra (fall, winter, spring)
- MATH 1322 Precalculus: Trigonometry (fall, winter, spring)
- MATH 1130 Calculus for Business (fall, winter, spring)
- MATH 1230 Calculus for Life Sciences (spring, winter)
- MATH 1334 Calculus I (fall, winter, spring)
- MATH 1210 Statistics for Life Sciences (fall, spring)
The course in which you will enroll depends upon your intended major as well as your SAT or ACT mathematics score, or Mathematics Placement Exam score.
To determine math course selection: use the SAT or ACT column to find the range that includes student score; check first column for eligible courses; then, based on major and personal preference, determine which course to take.
[Note: if the SAT or ACT test has been taken more than once, use the highest math score.]
||Math Placement Scores
|UCOR 1200, MATH 1020
||450 to 530
||18 to 22
||Algebra score 4 to 14
|MATH 1120, 1321
||540 to 630
||23 to 27
||Algebra score 15 to 24
|MATH 1322, 1130, 1210
||620 or higher
||27 to 36
||Algebra score 23 - 30
||620 -800 and Trig score of 4 or higher*
||27 -36 and Trig score of 4 or higher*
||Algebra score 23 - 30 and Trig score of 4 or higher*, or MATH 1322
||640-800 and Trig score of 6 or higher*
||28-36 and Trig score of 6 or higher*
||Algebra score 25-30 and Trig score of 6 or higher*, or MATH 1322
(*Corequisite for MATH 1334 and 1230 is MATH 1322 or indicated score on trig. placement exam)
You are placed in mathematics based on your SAT or ACT score. If you do not like where you are placed based on this score, you can take the SU placement exam. Students in majors in the College of Science and Engineering, Albers School of Business, Sports and Exercise Science and BS Criminal Justice with a specialization in Forensic Science are best served by placing into MATH 1120/1321 or above.
The Math Placement Exam is now offered online.Contact the Math department to arrange taking the placement exam. The department can be reached at (206) 296-5930.
Note: There is no charge to take the Mathematics Department Placement Exam.