Spring 2011


Kathleen Duvall died Oct. 16, 2010. She was 83. Born and raised in Seattle, Duvall attended Holy Names Academy and Seattle University, where she earned a degree in education. While at SU, she met her husband of more than 50 years, Lewis. Together they raised four children. In 1963, the family moved to Boise, Idaho. They bought an Victorian home which Duvall enjoyed restoring and redecorating. She was an active member of St. Mary’s parish, volunteering countless hours up until 2009. In her retirement, Duvall and her husband enjoyed traveling throughout the U.S. in their RV. She was a lifelong Catholic and was passionately devoted to her faith. Duvall is preceded in death by her parents; sister, Suzanne; and brother-in-law, Tom. She is survived by her husband, Lewis; children, Cathy, Suzanne, Bill, and Mike; sons-in-law, Dan and Dave; daughters-in-law, Monica and Michelle; grandchildren, Chris, Katie, Pat, Ben, Angie, Marc, Scott, Jake, Bill, Jessie, Ashley, Carley and Andrew; seven great-grandchildren; brother, Bill; brothers-in-law, Don and Homer; as well as numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

George Gratton Flood died July 5, 2010. Next to his family and his religion, Flood was dedicated to the United States Marine Corps, for which he served for 31 years. He was born in Seattle on April 9, 1927, attended Seattle Prep, then graduated in 1949 from Seattle University where he was a member of the basketball team. He also attended the University of Washington Law School (1949-1950). He and Phyllismary Young began their 61 years of marriage in 1949, when they were wed at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Seattle. After enlisting in the Marine Corps in 1945, he completed his tour of active duty aboard the USS Shangri La and later completed USMC Platoon Leaders Class while attending SU and was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in 1949. In 1950 he was called to active duty and participated in combat operations in Korea as a platoon and company commander in the 2nd Battalion, Seventh Marines throughout 1951. He was awarded the Silver Star and Bronze Star medals for action at Hongchon and at the 38th Parallel. He served in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. He continued to serve in Marine Corps Reserves and after 34 years retired to the rank of Full Colonel. Flood raised a family and worked in the insurance business in the Pacific Northwest and Canada. He enjoyed 27 rewarding years with PEMCO Insurance until his retirement in 2000. In his retirement he remained active as a volunteer with the Bellevue Police Department and in community groups. Flood was involved in many community and military organizations and held leadership positions with organizations including American Legion Post #1, the American Legion Foundation, USMC Reserve Officers Association, Marine Corps Council Northwest, Seattle University’s Alumni Association and the Knights of Columbus, Providence Mount St. Vincent. He was also active in church organizations supporting St. Mathew and St. Madeleine Sophie Catholic churches. A fervent supporter of SU basketball, Flood also played fast-pitch softball in to his 60s, and loved to relax on the shores of Brown's Bay. He is survived by his wife, Phyllismary; his children, Mike, Maureen, Kevin and Brian; 11 grandchildren; two great grandchildren; his sisters, Diane, Brigid and Chadene; his brother, Tim; and many many nieces and nephews.


Neil Harmon died Sept. 10, 2010. He was 83. Born in Tacoma to Don and Laura Harmon, he graduated from Olympia High School in 1944 then served in the U.S. Army Air Force as Supply Sgt. with the 10th Rescue Squadron at Elmendorf Air Base, Alaska. Following his graduation from Seattle University Harmon earned a master’s degree in industrial relations from Loyola University in Chicago in 1952. At Loyola he met his future wife, Gini Cinelli. When he returned to Seattle he went to work for The Boeing Company, in areas of aerospace, personnel and project management. In the late 1970s he began a second career as a developer of real estate and rural housing projects, which led to many honors including, in 2003, a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Washington State Council for Affordable and Rural Housing. He was a member of the Seattle University Graduates' Club, a founding member of the Seafair Clowns, President of the Our Lady of the Lake Parents' Club, the first President of the School Board at Bishop Blanchet High School, honored member of the Good Guys Wine & Bridge Club, a lifelong Catholic and a member of St Mark Parish for the past 27 years. Harmon’s interests included fishing, golfing, foreign travel and opera. A devoted family man who took seriously the role of husband, father and grandfather, Harmon also developed many great friendships throughout his life that endured to the end. Harmon’s greatest joy was to spend time with his children and many grandchildren. He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Gini; his sons, Barry, Rod, Jim and John; his brother, Bob; his grandchildren Alin, Tom, Becky, Ken, Nick, Will, Boyd, Laura and Olivia; great grandchild Lucy, and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his brother Barry and his son, Edward.


Neal Cameron died April 3, 2010. He was 84. Cameron was born and raised in Seattle. He served in the U.S. Navy and was a veteran of World War II. His ship was one of those present in Tokyo Bay at the signing of the Japanese surrender aboard the U.S.S. Missouri. He worked for the Washington State Department of Transportation as a property negotiator during the construction of the Interstate 5 and Interstate 90 freeways. In his retirement, Cameron volunteered in the wild turkey program sponsored by the Department of Fish and Wildlife. He loved hunting, fishing and learning about his family history. He made several trips to eastern Montana, where his father was born and his grandfather homesteaded two ranches, one on Cameron Creek, near Stacey, Mont., and the second one on the Yellowstone River near Terry, Mont. He is survived by his three nephews, Ross, Scott and Craig, and several cousins and friends. Cameron was preceded in death by his parents, Clyde and Blanche; and his older brother, Walter.

Robert E. Fenn died Nov. 5, 2010. He was 80. An army veteran of World War II, Fenn was a bronze star recipient for his part in the Philippine Liberation. Fenn was married to Margaret Walsh in 1948, and shortly thereafter the couple moved to Seattle. After graduating from Seattle University, Fenn began his 20-year-long career at the Boeing Company. He also co-founded an airplane parts company, Air Spares, Inc. Fenn spent many happy summers charter fishing out of Westport, Wash., where the only thing he enjoyed more than catching a big king salmon was teaching someone else how to land one. He was generous to a fault and will be remembered for his big heart and infectious laughter. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Margaret; his sons, David and Mark; his grandchildren, Lauren, Ryan, Kyle and Liam; and his sisters, Edythe and Elinor.

John Hixson died Oct. 23, 2010. He was 85. After graduating from Queen Anne High School in Seattle, Hixson enlisted in the Army Air Corps, serving in the Pacific Campaign. After his service, Hixson attended Seattle University. Following graduation he went on to enjoy a 30-year career at Pan American World Airways. Friends and family will remember Hixson for his sense of humor and zest for life. He is survived by his wife, Ethel; his sons, John and Doug; his stepchildren, Larry and Carroll; seven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.


Hugh Gordon Goldsmith died Aug. 22, 2010. He was 83. Born in Charlotte, North Carolina to Hugh N. Goldsmith, Jr., and Miriam Josephine Gavan, on October 9, 1926. Goldsmith spent his childhood years in Greenville, South Carolina where he operated dual paper routes on his bicycle and had a job as a soda fountain clerk all while in school. Before long he graduated from his bicycle to his prized blue Model A Ford, and went on to graduate from Greenville High School in 1943. In 1945 he joined the U.S. Navy, serving until 1948. After his discharge he made his way to Seattle where he graduated from Seattle University with a degree in civil engineering. During his time at SU, Goldsmith worked part time at Appliance Parts and Service Company where he met and married the love and light of his life, Skitty, and they started a family. Goldsmith went to work for an engineering firm and within a few short years he had become a licensed Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) and was head of the company's survey department. In this capacity, his innovation led the company into new territory of private development subdivision of land for home builders. By 1958, the City of Seattle and King County were embarking on comprehensive land use and metropolitan sewer plans for the expansion of urban development to the greater east side of Lake Washington. He formed his own business, Hugh G. Goldsmith and Associates, Inc., which over time became one of the premier development consulting firms in the Pacific Northwest known for its specialty in master planning and engineering for large scale development. Goldsmith has contributed to the landscape of the region with planning, engineering and survey services for developments such as Klahanie, Sahalee Country Club, McCormick Woods, Bear Creek Country Club, Redmond Ridge, Fairwood, The Golf Club at Newcastle, Aldarra Golf Club and countless other neighborhoods where people live, work and play. Goldsmith had strength of will and unsurpassed positive mental attitude. He was an inspiration to all and will be deeply missed. He is survived by his mother- in-law, Dorothy F. Hansberry of Kirkland; his brother: James D. Goldsmith of Seattle; and his sisters: Mary Jane Blanton Shaffer of Easley, South Caroli na, Carolyn (Howard) Chapman of Greenville, South Carolina, Margaret (Ron) Stewart of Taco ma, and their families. Goldsmith was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 58 years, Skitty; his son, Gordon; his daughter, Dorothy; his parents, Hugh and Miriam Goldsmith; and sisters Miriam and Geraldine. He is survived by his children and their families, Jill (Bob), Brian (Kathleen), Keith (Jennifer), Nancy (Steve), Thomas, Janet (Kevin) and William; his daughter-in-law, Beverly; 19 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; his brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law; and many nieces and nephews.


Helen Feeney died Oct. 29, 2010. She was 78. Feeney was a lifelong resident of the Seattle area. She is survived her loving husband of 50 years, Michael; her son, Kevin; her niece, Sandi; and many loyal friends.


James Joseph Byrne died Oct. 20, 2010. He was 76. Byrne graduated from Seattle Preparatory School and Seattle University. For 35 years, he worked as an accountant for the City of Seattle. Those who knew Byrne describe him as gentle, sweet and kind.


Lois Jane Zander Noonan died Aug. 1, 2010. She was 74. Born in 1936 in Towne Hoarde, Wis., Noonan moved to Seattle with her family in 1952. Two years later she graduated from Holy Names Academy followed by Seattle University. In 1964, she married Paul Francis Noonan in Washington, D.C. After years of teaching in Seattle, on the East Coast and in Europe, Noonan retired and later became a professional seamstress. Noonan is survived by her husband of 46 years, Paul; her three children, Steve, Laura and Michael; her three grandchildren, Reese, Carter and Hunter; and her sisters, Shirley and Donna.

1 | 2 | 3 | Next page | Single page


Welcome, Alumni Relations AVP

Susan Woerdehoff has been named the new Assistant Vice President of Alumni Relations. Woerdehoff, a double alum of Seattle University, comes to SU following a long career with Microsoft. She starts May 25. Read more about her in SU Voice.




Get Connected

Find Us Online

Connect with SU Alumni on facebook and LinkedIn.

What's Happening

Visit the Alumni Relations website to keep up-to-date on all events.

Find Your Friends

AlumniWeb is a quick and easy way to locate your classmates.