International Student Center
New Students

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Pre-Arrival & Travel

    I applied to SU, was accepted, and I have completed the "Declaration of Finances" form. When should I set up an appointment at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in my home country to apply for a visa?

    Congratulations on your acceptance to SU! This is a very exciting time to be at the University. You cannot set up your visa interview at the US Embassy/Consulate until you have been assigned a SEVIS ID Number, which can be found on your Form I-20, also known as the "Certificate of Eligibility for a Non immigrant Student".

    What is a SEVIS fee? How do I pay the SEVIS fee?

    You must pay a fee to be enrolled in SEVIS, and you will need to retain your proof of payment for presentation during your visa interview at the US Embassy/Consulate. The SEVIS fee is $200 for F-1 students and $180 for J-1 students. For more information on how to pay the SEVIS fee, visit You must bring proof of payment to your US Embassy/Consulate Interview.

    What is Seattle University’s School Code and School Name?

    School name as it appears in SEVIS: Seattle University

    SEVIS school code: SEA 214F25900000  

    How do I make an appointment at the US Embassy/Consulate?

    Make an appointment for a visa interview by contacting the nearest US Embassy/Consulate. You'll find that information at The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, early visa application is strongly encouraged. Visa wait times for interview appointments and visa processing time for each US Embassy/Consulate worldwide is available on the US Department of State's website, and on most embassy websites.

    What should I do to prepare for the US Embassy/Consulate Interview?

    You'll find that information at Most interviews with the US Embassy/Consulate require you to bring SEVIS fees proof of payment, the interview appointment confirmation receipt, and necessary identification documents.

    How long will it take to get my I-20 after I have been accepted?

    If you are a new student to SU, the Admissions Office will issue your Form I-20. If you are transferring to SU from another school within the US, the International Student Center will issue your Form I-20, once we have access to your SEVIS record. Transfer students must request a transfer of their SEVIS record to SU in their final term at their current school. Your I-20 will be mailed to you with a packet of welcome materials. The Form I-20 packet is critically important. Please be sure to read everything we send you prior to arrival.

    I have never studied in theUnited States before. What should I do to prepare?

    The "Education USA" website has information to help prepare you for your experience studying in the United States, from planning to your arrival. The site can also assist you in connecting with resources in your home country. Information for international students can be found here:

    Are there any requirements for travel to Seattle University or can I just come to Seattle? What about traveling outof the United States once I am already at SU?

    With your initial entry Form I-20, you are only allowed to enter the United States 30 days prior to the "Program Start Date" as stated on your Form I-20. For example, if you were beginning your studies at SU in the fall, you would be permitted to come to Seattle as early as late August, 30 days prior to Program Start Date on item #5 of your I-20. When you first enter the US to come to SU, you need to bring your I-20, passport, admissions letter, and visa to present at your port of entry.

    These are also the documents you need to keep with you each and every time you leave and then re-enter the United States. Once you begin your studies at SU, your I-20 must have a current signature from an International Student Advisor (Designated School Official) prior to travel outside of the US. You should come to the International Student Center to have page 3 of your I-20 signed every 6-8 months. The process for getting a signature takes 3-5 business days, so make sure you bring your I-20 to the ISC a week before you plan to leave the United States.

    What items should I bring for my residence hall room?

    Since your residence hall room will be your home during the academic year, you will want to have all the comforts and supplies you need day-to-day. Listed below are items important to have when you arrive, as well as items that are not allowed.

    What to Bring:

    • Sheets (standard twin in Xavier & Campion; extra long in Bellarmine and Chardin)
    • Blankets and comforter Pillow/pillowcases Mattress pad
    • Towels Hangers
    • Desk lamp Telephone Clock Laundry bag
    • Iron
    • Shower slippers

    What Not to Bring:

    • Candles Oil lamps Blenders
    • Electrical cooking equipment
    • Weapons and ammunition of any kind Halogen lamps
    • Toaster ovens
    • Bed Rise

    Will I be able to purchase items for my room once I arrive?

    Yes. Seattle University is located in the Capitol Hill and First Hill neighborhoods, close to downtown and the International District. Around SU you can find grocery stores, banks, restaurants, and shops. In downtown there are several department stores, including a "Bed Bath and Beyond" store, and you can take a bus to the Southcenter and Northgate shopping malls. To plan a trip on the bus, visit

    Do I need to get any immunizations before I attend Seattle University?

    Seattle University requires all students/staff/faculty enrolled in undergraduate courses to provide documentation that they have had two doses of the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), a Tetanus booster in the last 10 years, and the 3 doses of the Hepatitis B series. In addition to the above immunizations, it is strongly recommended that you complete the usual childhood vaccine series and consider the Meningococcal vaccine.

    Immunization experts have issued a new vaccination recommendation for the meningococcal disease, stating that all first year students living in residence halls should be immunized against the meningococcal disease, a rare, but potentially fatal, bacterial infection commonly referred to as meningitis. Seattle University, however, at this time does not require the vaccine. The Student Health Center, like other primary care clinics, offers all of the required vaccines.

    Please enter your mandatory immunization records online at SU Online Student Health at Once you enter your records please send us a hard copy for verification. We will also accept photocopies of official immunization records from your primary care health provider's office or records from your high school. Many of you may be unaware that your high school already has this information and is an excellent resource for obtaining these records.

    What if I am bringing a dependent (F-2) with me?  Is there  certain process they have to go through? 

    Each dependent must have an I-20 issued in his/her own name. Designated School Officials can do this in SEVIS, as they are creating a record for initial attendance. Keep in mind that the “Financial Information” section must be completed before the “Add Dependent” section, which means that dependents’ financial information must be gathered prior to creating their record.

    Dependents must present their 1-20 and other required documents (such as proof of relationship to the F-1 student) to the embassy or consular office.  Once the application is approved, dependents should then present their visa and 1-20 to the immigration officer as they enter the United States.

    I am from an English speaking country; do I still need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam? 

    If English is your first language, then the TOEFL or IELTS exams are not required. Most applicants for whom English is a not the first/native language must demonstrate English Proficiency regardless of English language studies, academic history, residence in the United States or other English-speaking countries, or immigration status. See the International Student Admission Requirements Page for more information on exceptions to the TOEFL requirement.

    Is the TOEFL required for students who have earned a U.S. bachelor's degree or higher? 

    Graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants who have earned a bachelor or advanced degree at Seattle University or at a recognized college or university in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, and who have continued to reside in countries where English is the primary language for at least two years prior to submission of the application, will be considered to have met the English proficiency requirement.  For other exceptions to the English proficiency requirement, see the International Students Admissions Requirements page.

    What are some of the traditions of the university? 

    Jesuit Tradition: St. Ignatius of Loyola founded the Society of Jesus—the Jesuits, as they are commonly called—more than 450 years ago. Seattle University is one of 28 Jesuit universities in the United States and more than 100 around the world.  The Jesuits are well-known and respected as educators. A Jesuit education challenges students to think clearly, think for themselves, and test commonly accepted knowledge. Academic curiosity becomes a lifelong habit.However, Jesuit education means more than acquiring knowledge. The Jesuits believe what you do with that knowledge is just as important. At Seattle University, students are encouraged to grow personally and spiritually, testing their values, developing a sense of responsibility for themselves and their community, and learning about making ethical choices in their lives. They learn to balance self-reliance with interdependence, knowledge with spirituality, and mind with heart.

    Arrival & International Student Orientation

    What will happen when I first arrive in the United States?

    When you arrive in the United States and go through Immigration/Customs, you must be prepared to show the Immigration Officer your passport, I-20 (for J-1 students, you must show your DS-2019), visa stamp from the US Consulate, letter of acceptance to SU, and documentation proving your financial resources. If everything is in order, the Immigration Officer will stamp the date of your arrival on your I-20 and will staple a small white card, called the I-94 card (Departure Record) in your passport.

    The Officer will return your I-20 (DS-2019 for J-1 students) to you. If you encounter any problems while you are being inspected by Immigration, please contact the International Student Center at (206) 296-6260. Also, please be sure to bring these items to the International Student Center as soon as you arrive on campus so we can copy all ofthese materials for your immigration file.

    How do I get to Seattle University from Sea-Tac Airport?

    Sea-Tac Airport is located approximately 15 miles south of downtown Seattle, just off Interstate-5. Taxis, shuttle services, light rail, and buses run regularly between Sea-Tac Airport and the city.

    • Taxis (Yellow Cab 206.622.6500) cost approximately $35 for a one-way trip.
    • Shuttle Express (425.981.7000 or will take you to the University for $36. Shuttle Express is next to the Airport'sGround Transportation Office.
    • Link Light Rail ( connects to the fourth floor of the Airport Garage. The Link Light Rail runs from 5 am to 1 am Monday-Saturday and 6 am to midnight on Sunday. Trains arrive and depart every 7 to 15 minutes, depending on the time of day.
    • Metro Buses ( stop on International Boulevard (State Highway-99) and South 176th Street by the Link Light Rail Station. Departure times are displayed at the bus stop. Pick up printed bus timetables at the Ground Transportation Information Booth on the Baggage Claim level.

    Is public transportation available from campus?

    Yes. There are several King County buses that stop at Seattle University: the 2, 3, 4, 9, 12, 43, 49, 60, 43, and 49. To plana trip on the bus, visit A discounted transit pass (55% off full price) or ORCA card ($300) is offered only to students without a parking permit from the Department of Public Safety and Transportation. An ORCA card request must be submitted by the 10th day of the month prior to the month you begin using the pass.

    Transit passes can only be purchased for a minimum of three months at a time. Submit your ORCA order and payment form here: There is also the Night Hawk Safety Escort/Patrol program that provides a safe and convenient way oft raveling throughout the surrounding community for SU students and affiliates during evening hours. The Night Hawk is a free shuttle to all addresses within 6 blocks of campus. The service currently offers shuttles from6 pm to Midnight, Sunday through Thursday, and the service time extends from 6 pm to 2 am on Fridays and Saturdays.

    What do I need to do when I arrive at Seattle University?

    Whether you are living on-campus or off-campus, you must report in-person to the International Student Center (ISC) in the James C. Pigott Pavilion for Leadership, Room 160, upon your arrival. You must bring your I-20 from Seattle University; all I-20s previously issued by other US schools you have attended; your passport, visa and I-94 card; and your overseas and Seattle addresses. We will photocopy these documents and ask you to complete an information sheet.

    In addition, you will attend the mandatory New Beginning Program (NBP), international student orientation, which will help prepare you for your experience at SU. Information on the NBP orientation and check-in process will be emailed to you prior to your arrival and available on our website under the"New Students" tab.

    Are there any required exams I will need to take once I arrive at SU?

    All first-year undergraduates will complete a math placement test upon arrival to determine math course selection. Students with TOEFL scores in the CLB range will also take an essay placement test upon arrival. Some students may have their CLB requirement waived based upon the results of their essay placement test.

    Do I have to come to the New Beginning Program orientation? When is NBP?

    The New Beginning Program is required for all in coming international students, and it is an extremely beneficial orientation for all new international students. NBP provides important information to help you meet you educational goals and to make the most of your experience at Seattle University. You will learn all you need to know about SU, and you will make new friends from all over the world! Fall NBP orientation is a full week and is usually held in the week prior to the start of classes and will include time off-campus at a comfortable retreat center.

    Winter and spring orientation programs start before classes begin, on campus, over a 1-3 day period. For fall, you will need to submit the NBP Registration Form and program fee; on-campus students will also need to submit the Early Move-In Request Form. Information on the NBP orientation will be emailed to you prior to your arrival.

    How large is Seattle University's international student population?

    Currently, Seattle University's international student population includes 550 students from approximately 63countries around the world. International students add to the rich cultural diversity of the campus which is greatly celebrated at SU. The ISC hosts the International Dinner and International Week each January, and there are alsoa number of other cultural programs organized by student groups.

    What is the weather like in Seattle? 

    Seattle's climate is temperate, with mild winters (average temperature of 45° F/7° C) and warm, dry summers (average temperature of 75° F/24° C).  As you’ve probably heard, Seattle is cloudy and rainy, particularly in the winter months.

    Should I carry my immigration documents (for example, I-94, I-20 and Passport) with me at all times? 

    You do not need to have your immigration documents with you at all times. However, you need to keep your I-20, passport, admissions letter, and visa with you each and every time you leave and then re-enter the United States. Once you begin your studies at SU, your I-20 must have a current signature from an International Student Advisor (Designated School Official) prior to travel outside of the US. You should come to the International Student Center to have page 3 of your I-20 signed every 6-8 months. The process for getting a signature takes 3-5 business days, so make sure you bring your I-20 to the ISC a week before you plan to leave the United States.


    What is a full course load of credits and how many credits am I allowed to take every quarter?

    International students must be full-time in their studies. Undergraduates must maintain a minimum course load of 12 credits and graduate students must maintain a minimum course load of 9 credits. Do not take less than the required course load for any reason without first consulting with the International Student Center.

    Studying less than full- time jeopardizes your stay in the United States and may disqualify you from receiving practical training, travel authorization, employment, school transfer, and an extension of your I-20. There are legitimate reasons why you might need to drop below full-time status, but you need to get approval from the ISC before you reduce your course load.

    How can I register for classes?

    First-year undergraduates will be pre-registered for classes upon arrival. Transfer students and graduate students will need to meet with an Academic Advisor to register for classes. After your first quarter, you can register on SUOnline: Under the "Registration" category, you can find your registration time ("My Registration Dates") and check whether you have any holds that prevent you from registering ("Student Restrictions").

    Undergraduates should be aware that throughout the freshman year an advising restriction is placed on your account until meeting with an advisor. You will not be able to register for classes until the advising restriction is removed. Transfer students will have an advising restriction in place for their second and third quarters at SU, or until they have completed 30 credits. Once you have seen your advisor, you will have your advising restriction lifted.

    Does Seattle University offer intensive English instruction?

    No, students are supported by the Culture and Language Bridge Program (CLB). In addition to your TOEFL score, you are required to take a written essay placement test to indicate your academic success at SU. The courses offered in the Program are highly advanced, with a specific focus on university-level reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. Upon completion of the CLB courses, students are able to enroll into the reading and writing core curriculum courses. For more information check out their website at

    How can I find out about internships?

    If you are looking for an internship a great place to start is to talk with your academic advisor and/or an advisor in the Career Services Office, located in PAVL 110. Career Services is a fantastic resource for all students seeking an internship or a full-time job upon completion of your studies. The Career Services staff can advise you on internship search strategies, your resume and cover letter, interview techniques, and other job search tools.

    Career Services also organizes helpful workshops and several career fairs throughout the school year. The Office also has databases that can specifically assist international students in their job search process.

    Curricular Practical Training (CPT)is available to students who must work as part of their degree requirements, either non-credit or for credit. You should speak with your academic advisor about your degree requirements, and if you are planning to do CPT, you will need to meet with an ISC advisor for the CPT application process.

    If you would like to do a paid internship related to your major, but not as part of a degree requirement, you must apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Each quarter there is one Curricular Practical Training/Optional Practical Training workshop offered by the International Student Center that provides more information.

    Are there computer lab facilities on campus?

    Yes, Seattle University has two computer labs available to students: Engineering (ENGR) 310 and Pigott (PIGT) 206. All computers have student internet and network access (including file and print server), and email. Both labs are open Monday-Thursday 7:00 am-11:00 pm, Friday 7:00 am-5:00 pm, Saturday 10:00 am-5:00 pm, and Sunday 10:00 am-11:00 pm. An active Seattle University Campus Card and network account is required to access computer lab stations. There arealso two computers available for student use in the student lounge located in the back of the International Student Center.

    Is there wireless internet access on campus?

    Yes, most major buildings on campus have ample 802.11g wireless coverage. Connecting to Seattle University wireless is very similar to connecting to any public WiFi hotspot. When viewing available wireless networks you should see Seattle University's wireless network advertised as 'SU_Wireless'. Once connected to 'SU_Wireless'open a web browser and you will automatically be directed to the login page. Enter your SU network account user name and password.

    Are there any cultural classes that I can take while I am at Seattle University?

      Seattle University has a wide variety of courses. Please see the University’s course catalogue for course options, or speak to an advisor about specific cultural classes that you may be interested in taking.   

     How is my academic advisor chosen for me? 

    Academic advisors are automatically assigned to you by Seattle University, and are chosen from within your specific department of study.  You will be notified of your academic advisor through an email sent to your Seattle University email account.  You can also find the name of your academic advisor on SU Online by following the instructions below:

    Log into SU Online  

    Select the Student Menu  

    Select “My Profile” under the Academic Profile section

    Your advisor’s name will be listed in the “Academic Information” area

    You can find his/her email, phone number, and location in the Online Faculty/Staff Directory  

    Can I setup an appointment to meet my advisor once I get to the university? 

    Yes—you can set up an appointment with your advisor by contacting them using the contact information provided to you in the automatic email sent to your Seattle University email account. If you are a transfer student and happen to be in the area of SU prior to the quarter you are enrolling you are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to come see you advisor early so you can register for classes. The earlier you can register the better. 


    What types of financial aid are available for international students?

    Financial aid is primarily just available to US citizens and permanent residents. New international students, both incoming freshman and undergraduate transfer students, are eligible for merit scholarships which are selected by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. These scholarships are based on the strength of a student's academic and extracurricular record. No application is required. We encourage international students to investigate all available options in their home countries and outside funding organizations. International students may also get useful information at  

    When do I pay my bill?

    After you register for classes, you can pay your tuition and fees.

    You are required to pay your bill by the following deadlines:

    • Summer Quarter June20th,
    • Fall Quarter September 20th,
    • Winter Quarter December 20th,
    • Spring Quarter March 20th

    How do I pay my tuition?

    For your convenience, the University offers a variety of payment options. Payments may be made by Visa, MasterCard, or electronic check through SU Online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please note credit card payments will include an additional 3%cost for processing. In addition, payments may be submitted by mail or in person at Student Financial Services, University Services Building, Room 105. For more detailed information about making a payment, please visit:

    Is it mandatory to buy student health insurance?

    Yes, to ensure that you will be able to get the medical care you need, you will be required to purchase the health insurance offered at Seattle University, unless you provide proof of insurance under a comparable plan. The insurance premium will be charged to your account at the beginning of your first quarter when you register for classes. We have an annual premium, so if you enroll in the fall term you will be covered from September 1st through September 1st of the following year.

    To receive a waiver of the insurance requirement, you must provideproof that you have other insurance with comparable coverage. Your insurance must have a minimum benefit per sickness/accident of at least $50,000, and a deductible amount of no more than $250. In addition, J-1 visa holders are required to have coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.

    There is a deadline for turning in the Health Insurance Waiver Form each quarter. If you are leaving the country, or transferring to a different school, you may also apply fora prorated refund of the premium. Please contact the International Student Center for more information on the health insurance requirement.

    I need to find a local bank in Seattle. What are some major banks in area? 

    While WE CAN NOT ENDORSE or SUPPORT YOUR USE of any of the banks below as we are a private institution that does receive federal financial aid and we are not in the business of supporting local banks - international students have told us they use the banks listed below. There are quite a few banks and credit unions in the area.  The following are closest to campus: 

                 Bank of America 

                 1300 E Madison St.

                 (206) 358-2055


                 1429 Broadway Ave.

                 (206) 461-7172

                  US Bank 

                 1001 Madison St., Ste. 100

                 (206) 621-8585

                 Wells Fargo 

                 1317 Madison Street

                 (206) 322-2671

                 Key Bank 

                 1224 Madison Street

                 (206) 447-5758


                 401 Broadway East

                 (206) 439-5700

                 (ATM in University Services Building by the Bookstore)

    Employment Options 

    Can I work while I am on the F-1/J-1 visa?

    Yes, all international students can work on-campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week. F-1/J-1 students who are in status and taking classes full-time are eligible to work on-campus part-time during the school year and full-time during vacation periods. To find listings of on-campus jobs, go to SU Online and search the "Redhawk Network,"under the "Financial Information" category:  

    The priority for on-campus jobs goes to "work-study" students. Work-study students are American students who are receiving a financial aid package from the government which requires them to work on campus. International students are not eligible for work-study. Some offices may only be able to hire work-study students, while others may have a budget for hiring non work-study students.

    Working on campus does not require getting any written permission from the International Student Center or the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS), and you can start working as soon as you begin your studies at Seattle University. Working off campus is only possible under certain conditions and always requires prior approval from the BCIS and/or the ISC. Do not work off campus without prior authorization!

    Do I need a Social Security number to work? How do I get one?

    Yes, you need a Social Security number to work. Social Security numbers are generally assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States and are used to report your wages to the government. To apply for a Social Security number you will need a letter from your supervisor, a letter from the International Student Center, a completed Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5), your passport and immigration documents.

    First, you must request a job offer or hire letter from your supervisor, which you will bring to the International Student Center to request a separate verification letter for Social Security. We will also provide you with a handout with further details on how to obtain your Social Security Card.

    Is it mandatory to receive credit for an internship even though I am not getting paid?

    Yes and no. The only way an international student may participate in a paid internship experience is through Curricular Practical Training (CPT), and in order to do Curricular Practical Training you must receive credit which counts towards your degree or OPT. If you are volunteering and it is purely a volunteer position which does not include compensation of any kind – including parking, bus pass or stipend – then you do not need to apply for CPT.

    Are there services that can help me find a job in the community?  

    For international students, working off campus is only possible under certain conditions and always requires prior approval from the BCIS and/or the ISC. International students can, however, work on-campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week. F-1/J-1 students who are in status and taking classes full-time are eligible to work on-campus part-time during the school year and full-time during vacation periods.

    Working on campus does not require getting any written permission from the International Student Center or the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS), and you can start working as soon as you begin your studies at Seattle University. The best resource for finding jobs off-campus is the Redhawk Network, which has listings of off-campus jobs and internships in the community. For on-campus positions, as well as guidance on resume drafting and interview preparation, see the Seattle University Career Services Department.   

    Housing & Student Life 

    Can I work while I am on the F-1/J-1 visa?

    Yes, all international students can work on-campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week. F-1/J-1 students who are in status and taking classes full-time are eligible to work on-campus part time during the school year and full time during vacation periods. To find listings of on-campus jobs, go to SU Online and search the "Redhawk Network," under the "Financial Information" category: The priority for on-campus jobs goes to "work study" students.

    Work-study students are American students who are receiving a financial aid package from the government which requires them to work on campus. International students are not eligible for work study. Some offices may only be able to hire work-study students, while others may have a budget for hiring non work-study students. Working on campus does not require getting any written permission from the International Student Center (ISC) or the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS), and you can start working as soon as you begin your studies at Seattle University. Working off campus is only possible under certain conditions and always requires prior approval from the BCIS and/or the ISC. Do not work off campus without prior authorization!

    What are the benefits of living on campus? If I want to live off campus, am I eligible?

    The residential experience is considered an important part of a student's college education, and at Seattle University, all full-time freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus. While living on campus, you are more likely to take advantage of campus resources, be more involved in campus activities and educational programs, and have a much better chance at achieving greater academic success.

    SU requires students to live on campus for six consecutive quarters, not including summer terms. If you are turning 21 years of age prior to opening day of fall quarter you are eligible to live off campus. Exemptions to this requirement are limited to four categories: medical reasons, commuting from home, married students, and study abroad. The Request for Release from Housing Agreement Form must be submitted with documentation before decisions are made on the request. Graduate students and those not required to live on campus should check out the off campus housing and information site at:

    Do I need to apply to reserve on campus housing?

    Yes, after Seattle University has received your enrollment confirmation, you must complete the online Housing Application at Submitting this information will help the Office of Housing and Residence Life determine your roommate and room assignment. Room assignment priority is based on the date of deposit and application. Please submit your application by the following dates:

    • Fall Quarter June 1st or within 30 days of your acceptance, whichever is later
    • Winter Quarter November 15
    • Spring Quarter March 1
    • Summer Quarter May 15

    Please note that all full-time freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus and purchase a meal plan.

    Will I be able to move in early?

    Early move-in is extended only to students deemed to be in legitimate need by Housing and Residence Life. In order to request an early check-in, you will need to submit an Early Move-In Request form to Housing and Residence Life, located in Campion Hall, Room 100, for consideration.

    I will be living on campus. Can you give me a little more information about the residence halls?

    If you are interested in learning more about the residence halls, we recommend you visit the Housing and Residence Life website at: Bellarmine, Campion, and Xavier are Seattle University's three traditional residence halls that provide a variety of learning communities for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors.

    Many international students are placed in the learning communities of Xavier Global House, which focuses on global issues and cross-cultural education. Each residence hall offers quiet study rooms, lounges, and computer labs. Washers, dryers, and vending machines are also provided in each building. Students may use money placed on their campus card to operate these machines. Each residence hall is smoke-free.

    What types of things are included in my residence hall room?

    Double rooms arethe most common residence hall room. There are a limited number of triple rooms, and single rooms, and are only on a space-available basis. Please consider that your residence hall room is probably not as large as your bedroom at home and that you will be sharing space with a roommate. All double occupancy rooms are carpeted and furnished with the following:

    • Two twin beds that can be bunked. Beds in Bellarmine and Chardin Halls are extra long twin beds.
    • Two modular closets with drawer space for two people
    • Two bulletin boards and a mirror
    • Bookshelf space
    • A sink & a Micro-Fridge (combination microwave and refrigerator in Bellarmine, Chardin, and Xavier only)
    • Services include wireless and residence hall network access, telephone capabilities, and basic cable TV. Residents must provide their own phone and television.

    Is cooking permitted in the residence halls?

    Yes, students are only permitted to cook only in the kitchen areas of each residence hall. If your room does not come with a micro-fridge, you are allowed to bring a mini refrigerator (less than 3.5 cubic feet). Common area kitchens are equipped with an oven, stove, and/or microwave.

    What size bed will I have in my residence hall?

    The standard size bed in the residence halls is known as a twin size bed. The measurements of a twin size bed are approximately 39 inches wide and 75 inches long. Some beds may be up to 80 inches long if they are "extra long" twin beds. A twin bed is also known as a single bed.

    What is an RA?

    A Resident Assistant is an SU student who lives in the residence hall and provides leadership and support to the floor. Your RA is there to serve as a student resource, plan social and educational activities, and help to build community on the floor. In addition to the RA staff, there is a full-time professional Residence Hall Director (RHD) in each hall with extensive training and education in student learning and development. If you are interested in being an RA, talk to your RA or RHD.

    How do I obtain a meal plan?

    All students living in the residence halls must choose a meal plan option as part of their Housing Application. Freshmen and sophomore students are required to have at least the Preferred Club meal plan. (Meal-plan changes may be made during the first five class days of every quarter through Housing and Residence Life, located in Campion Hall, Room 100.) Commuter students can put meal dollars on their Campus Card in any amount at a Value Transfer Station, the Campus Card Office or Student Financial Services.

    All food service at Seattle University is managed by Bon Appétit, an award-winning company known for its standards of excellence and innovation in sustainable food service. Bon Appétit operates five different food service locations on campus: Cherry Street Market, Hawk's Nest Bistro, The Cave, The Sidebar, and The Bottom Line. Bon Appétit encourages customer feedback and gladly works with individual students to meet special dietary needs. For more information on Bon Appétit's food service, menu and hours, visit Questions can be directed via the webpage or the office (206) 296-6310.

    What co-curricular activities are available to students on campus?

    The Seattle University community is a very active one! We have many undergraduate and graduate clubs that students may participate in. These clubs vary in category, including academic/honor societies, community service, cultural/religious, political and sports clubs. SU has an active International Club with members from 40 different cultures that organize many community and cultural events. If there is not a club that meets your needs, you may even form one of your own if you have enough interest.

    Students may also choose to participate in the Student Events and Activities Council (SEAC) and student government organizations, the Associated Students of Seattle University (ASSU) and Graduate Student Council (GSC). For more information on Student Activities, visit: from clubs and organizations, SU Recreational Sports has an extensive intramural sports schedule where students have the opportunity to play flag football, soccer, softball, basketball, and much more! They also offer outdoor adventure trips, and there are recreational sports facilities in the Connolly Center.

    For more information on Recreational Sports, visit:

    Is there an on-campus health center if I need non-critical care? Yes—the on-campus health care center is located in Bellarmine 108. The health center offers on-campus healthcare at minimal cost for many of your healthcare needs. The Student Health Center provides the following specific services: wellness physicals, women's annual exams, diagnosis and treatment of acute illness, management of chronic medical problems, treatment of injuries, treatment of skin problems, STD and pregnancy testing, medication management for depression, immunizations, allergy shots, eating disorder management, laboratory services, and medical supplies.  

    Can I live on campus if I am in a graduate program? 

    Due to increased undergraduate enrollment, there is no SU-owned housing available for graduate students. In order to provide more housing for University students on our campus, the University has entered into a cooperating arrangement with the owners of The Douglas. The Douglas offers apartment suites with one to five bedrooms, and is an option for upperclassmen, graduate students, and law students. Head to to schedule a visit.

    Does the university offer off campus activities and events? 

    Seattle University has many events that take place both on and off campus. The International Student Center has its own events (such as I Week), which are advertised on the ISC home page.  There are also many non-ISC events that take place over the course of the year—please see the campus calendar for a schedule of upcoming events on the main Seattle U website.

    What are things to do in Seattle?   

    Seattle is a big city with a lot of fun things to do.  Some good things to see in Seattle are Pike Place Market, the space needle, and the new ferris wheel on Pier 57.  There are also many good restaurants and cafes, as well as art museums.  For those who like the outdoors, Seattle has lots of national forests with good hiking and camping. For more information on things to do in Seattle, go to the Visit Seattle home page (      

    Finally, a great way to stay active and involved is to click on the "Upcoming Programs" link in the ISC website as that link is consistently updated with upcoming ISC programs. During each academic year the ISC plans International Student Orientation (New Beginnings), the United Nations Luncheon, The International Thanksgiving Dinner, International Education Week, The International Dinner in January, The I-Buddy Global Ambassador Program, The International Dinner Series, trips to Vancouver and other cities, Ski Trips and other recreational sports.