Career Development for Staff
The Director of Professional and Organizational Development is available to assist individuals desiring career growth or transition. For additional information or to schedule an initial meeting, contact the Director of POD.
- Career interest, values and personality type assessments
- Individual career exploration sessions
- Access to a career services library
Seattle University Staff Development Philosophy
Seattle University recognizes that on-going and continuous improvement is necessary to sustain our commitment to excellence. Professional growth through expanded awareness, knowledge and skills directly impacts an individuals contribution to the university and ultimately to his or her career satisfaction. Individual staff members and university management each play a role in the development of staff knowledge, skills and personal effectiveness.
The role of staff members is to pursue growth by:
- Clarifying the interests, values, talents that are most important to be expressed and experienced in your work.
- Committing necessary time and self-reflection to determine the appropriate career path and acquire skills and knowledge necessary for success.
- Developing with their supervisor plans to acquire or enhance skills, assume new responsibilities in preparation for future opportunities.
The role of management is to encourage, support and seek opportunities for staff development by:
- Providing candid feedback on performance
- Designing jobs and assigning work in ways that most fully utilize individual talents and support professional aspirations
- Sharing expertise and provide training needed for current and newly assigned responsibilities.
- Offering or supporting professional development opportunities to enhance individual’s knowledge and skill level in preparation for future career growth beyond current position.
- Encourage staff to learn and grow throughout their career and to pursue appropriate career goals
- Publicizing job opportunities on campus so that individuals can pursue positions which they believe will advance their career and professional development