Controller's Office
Travel Advances and Reimbursements

Moving Expense Reimbursements

  • Overview

    Seattle University is required to report all moving expense reimbursements, for both taxable and non-taxable, on employees' W-2 forms.


    Qualified moving expenses reimbursed by Seattle University are excludable from an employee's gross income as a qualified fringe benefit to the extend they meet the reporting requirement for a qualified moving expense reimbursement. Qualified moving expense reimbursements include any amount received, directly or indirectly, by an employee from Seattle University as a payment for, or a reimbursement of, expenses that would be deductible as moving expenses if directly paid or incurred by the employee.

    Reimbursements for moving expenses that are not qualified moving expense reimbursements are included in the employee's gross income as compensation for services.

    Non-Taxable Moving Expense Reimbursements

    To qualify for a qualified moving expense reimbursement, the IRS has established the following guidelines:

    The position is:

    • Full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after arriving in the new area
    • At least 50 miles farther from the former residence than the old main job was from the former residence. For example, if the old main job was 3 miles from the former residence, then the new workplace must be at least 53 miles from the former residence. And, the distance from the new residence to the new job location is not more than the distance from the former residence to the new job location.

    The reimbursements are reasonable expenses to pay for:

    • Costs of storing and insuring household goods and personal effects only within any period of 30 consecutive days
    • Costs of moving possessions from another location can qualify, but only to the extend of what it would cost to ship from the principal residence
    • Costs of traveling from the old residence to the new residence is also deductible, reimbursed based on actual expenses, or 23 cents/mile (effective January 1, 2012)
    • Lodging reimbursements; they can include staying in a hotel at the location of the old residence within one day of the furniture being moved out

    Taxable Moving Expense Reimbursements include:

    • Meals consumed en route
    • Costs of house-hunting trips
    • Cost of maintaining a temporary residence
    • Cost of storage in excess of 30 days
    • Cost of moving furniture bought on the way to the new residence

    Where to send the Moving Expense Reimbursement Form

    The employing department processes a Moving Expense Reimbursement Form to request the payment, and submit the form, along with all supporting documents to:
    For FACULTY: Provost Office, RIAN 219, attention: Staci Bixler, ext 6142.
    For STAFF: Human Resources Office, RIAN 215, attention: Ruth Donohue, ext 5865.

    Processing Time

    Allow 3 to 4 business days upon the receipt of both completed and signed Moving Expense Reimbursement Form to process the payment request.

    Questions Regarding Moving Expense Reimbursements

    Accounts Payable is responsible for following departmental mailing requests. Please send your questions on the status of payment requests to Matthew Bird, ext. 5882.

    Taxes Withholding

    Federal Income Tax, Social Security, and Medicare taxes will be deducted from the employee's paycheck. Employee will be notified by payroll when this event occurs.

    Question on Form W-2 at Year End

    For questions on Form W-2, contact Rita Lin, Payroll Manager, ext 5887, 1218 East Cherry Building.



    Phone: 206-296-5880
    Fax: 206-296-5896

    Mailing address:
    901 12th Avenue
    Box 222000
    Seattle, WA 98122-1090

    O'Brien Center for
    Athletic Administration
    1218 E. Cherry Street
    Seattle, WA 98122-1090