Wine at Event

Policies and Procedures for Serving Alcohol at an Event

Seattle University allows wine and beer to be served on campus with an approved Alcohol Service Request Form and Washington State Banquet Permit. "BYOB" events, beer kegs, and hard liquor are not permitted on campus.

Alcohol Service Policies

  • No alcoholic beverages may be consumed in public areas or on University property without the University’s prior written approval.
  • To serve or sell alcohol on campus, permission must first be obtained from Conference & Event Services. The Department or Organization sponsor must complete an Alcohol Service Request Form and submit it to the CES Office at least one (1) week prior to the event date. If alcohol is to be sold on campus, the Alcohol Service Request Form must be submitted to CES at least 60 days prior to the event date. Once completed, the form will be evaluated to determine the number of alcohol servers and security staff required for the event.
  • If CES grants permission for the serving of alcoholic beverages, a permission letter will be produced for the Event sponsor listed on the Alcohol Service Request Form. The sponsor must take this permission letter to a Washington State liquor store and purchase a Washington State Banquet Permit. 
  • If CES grants permission for the selling of alcoholic beverages, the Department's or Organization’s sponsor must apply to the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) for a Special Occasion License at least 45 days prior to the event date.
  • The permit or license must be posted during the event near the alcohol service area. The Organization assumes sole responsibility for compliance with all applicable laws (including the acquisition of all required permits), ordinances, and University policies pertaining to the use or possession of alcohol
  • Alcohol may not be served to any person under the age of 21.  A separate alcohol serving area may be required at events where persons under 21 will be present. The Department's or Organization’s sponsor may also be required to devise a system by which picture identification will be checked to verify legal age.
  • Alcohol must be served and monitored and may not be left unattended so as to allow free access. All service of alcohol to guests must stop 30 minutes prior to the ending time of the event.  In addition, no open containers of alcohol are permitted on University property at any time, except within the area covered by a valid liquor permit.
  • Event sponsors (persons who sign for the Banquet permit/Special Occasion License) are legally responsible and obligated to refuse alcohol to anyone whom they feel has had too much to drink. The person named on the permit/license can and will be held responsible for all alcohol-related incidents, and must be present during the event at all times.
  • No “BYOB” events, kegs, or hard liquor of any kind are permitted in University facilities or anywhere on campus. The University reserves the right to deny or limit the consumption of alcoholic beverages on the campus.
  • For events where alcohol is served, the Organization is required to hire, at its own expense, and use alcohol servers who are employees of Bon Appétit Catering, the University’s food services vendor. Non-alcoholic beverages and food must be available at the event.  Name brand beverages, high protein and low salt foods are encouraged.
  • No alcohol will be served at an on campus event before 3:30 p.m., unless prior approval is granted by the Executive Vice President or the Provost. 

Obtaining Permits 

  • A representative from the department or organization must request and submit a completed Alcohol Service Request Form to the Conference & Event Services Office (CES) for approval to serve alcoholic beverages (beer and wine) on campus. The request must be submitted no later than two weeks prior to the start of the event.
  • If approved, the representative will be given a signed permission letter to be taken to a Washington State liquor store for the purchase of a Banquet permit. (Current cost is $10.00 per event.) CES will back charge the organization for the cost of the permit.
  • Most events—including any that will potentially have underage participants attending—will require that one or more Bon Appétit servers be hired to serve the alcohol at the event. The organization must assume all costs for this. Bon Appétit will let you know the estimated costs for this in advance of the event.
  • The Banquet permit must be posted during the function near the alcohol service area. Each function and/or location requires a separate Banquet permit.
  • The group or organization assumes sole responsibility for compliance with all applicable laws, ordinances and University policies pertaining to the use or possession of alcohol.

To make a request to have alcohol at your events, please click on one of the following links: