We're Here To Help!
We encourage anyone planning an event or conference to consult with Conference and Event Services staff prior to or during the initial planning process. CES can assist you by scheduling appropriate locations for events, discussing program flow and room configurations, providing logistical information about parking, catering and audio-visual support, and providing estimates of event costs or giving budget advice.
Meeting, Event Or Conference?
To make planning more easy, Conference & Event Services (CES) has come up with terms to help differentiate between the three most usual types of programs requested. They are:
- Meeting—a small gathering that usually does not require a great deal of set up, support, or arrangements
- Conference—any meeting or event that will involve overnight housing with guests staying in Seattle University accommodations (summer only)
- Event—any gathering that is not a meeting and not a conference
When working with a CES staff member, it helps to let her or him know what type of program you are planning.
If you wish to request space for a simple meeting—some gathering that is easy to arrange, usually in a room that requires no set up and has no catering—it may be done either by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at (206) 296-5620.
For events or conferences that will take more collaboration and arrangements, please submit an Event Request Form (ERF). This may be done online with our comprehensive electronic version. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions when filling out the form.
However CES is contacted, once the information on the program or event is received, one of our Scheduling Specialists will review your request, and based on the information provided, will tentatively reserve facilities for the proposed program. In addition, the Scheduling Specialist will determine if the nature of the event requires that an Event Coordinator be assigned, or whether the Small Events Team can provide appropriate service to you. After these determinations, the Scheduling Specialist will send a confirmation to you, along with further information on the planning process and from whom you can request further information or support.
Scheduling Specialists will use what you have submitted to CES determine the following:
- What facility or facilities would work best for the event or conference, and whether these are available for the date(s) requested;
- What else is going on at the university during the same time, in case there might be any conflict that could affect the program (e.g. if the date requested coincides with a large university-wide event, or is during a university holiday)
- Whether the program is Sponsored or Hosted
- Whether or not the program needs an Event Coordinator assigned to work on it, or can be assigned to the CES Small Events Team (SET)
- Whether there will be any food service needed, and if so, give proper information on ordering
- Whether there will be any technical equipment support needed, and if so, specifically what
- Whether there will be any parking needs for the program, and what solutions are available for the day and time the conference or event will take place
Once your event or conference confirmation is sent to you, you may request information from us including concerning any of our policies or procedures. Common requests include:
- A list of reserved facilities
- Audio-visual information, such as information on the equipment and support that is available within your reserved facility
- Parking information, including rates and locations for guest parking
- Catering and food service information, including menus and policies
- Applications for alcohol permits and policies (if applicable)
- Applications for insurance coverage (if applicable),
- Photos and/or Scale diagrams for reserved facilities, including possible variations for set up styles
- Driving directions
- Campus maps
- Estimated charges, and/or advice on budget preparation for the event
More complicated events may require assignment of a CES Event Coordinator to review planning and arrangements, and assist you with further questions and plans you have for your program. (This is at no charge!) Regardless of the complexity or simplicity of your program, CES will be there to answer questions and provide support to you during each step of your planning process.