Assessing Students with Significant Disabilities for Supported Adulthood: Exploring Appropriate Transition Assessments
- This PowerPoint presentation addresses appropriate transition assessments for students with significant disabilities. It was created by Dr. Mary E. Morningstar from the University of Kansas and was presented at the 2010 Division on Career Development and Transition (DCDT) Conference in Texas.
- Identify present levels of performance in key skill areas. Assess a wide range of student abilities in academic skills, postsecondary opportunites, independent living, and community participation.
- Provides lessons in employment, independent living, community participation, and more designed to accompany the Transition Skills Inventory. There are several activities per lesson to support a range of abilities and interest.
- Free Career Cluster – Plans of Study; free Career Clusters – Knowledge and Skills Charts; free Career Clusters – Interest Survey Activity.
- A Guide for Professionals Serving Youth with Educational and Career Development Challenges; youth service practitioners will find information on selecting career-related assessments, determining when to refer youth for additional assessment, and additional issues such as accommodations, legal issues, and ethical considerations
- The Ansell Casey Life Skills Assessments provide instant feedback to assist the IEP team in developing customized transition learning plans.
Career One Stop
- The Skills Profiler helps the user create a list of skills and matches them to possible job types that match those skills.
- This is a downloadable list of transition assessment tools with links and brief descriptions of eight commercially available assessments.
- Student-friendly career exploration website that includes informal assessments. Can search by category, pay, education level, academic interests, and more.
- Magellan uses 9 assessments and performance-based surveys to measure 12 interest areas and 27 criterion-referenced factors based on the U.S. Department of Labor's "Revised Handbook for Analyzing Jobs." Magellan's academic skills assessment is based on field-proven assessment software.
The MECA System
- Assesses interests and aptitudes, academic/basic skills for the workplace and more. Teaches goal setting, self-advocacy, social/emotional learning, and functional life, social, literacy and work skills. Includes career planner.
O*NET Resource Center
- FREE assessments that include ability profiler, interest profiler, work importance locator, and more. Uses government employment statistics.
- This survey allows parents to contribute to the transition assessment by identifying goals and dreams they have for their son/daughter as an adult after graduation.
- Good assessment is the basis for meaningful planning for students, families, and schools as they consider transition needs and needed transition services in the IEP process.
- Includes Career Interest Areas Assessment, Interest Profiler, Skills Assessment, Work Importance Locator, Reality Check, electronic portfolio, and more.
- WorkKeys is a job skills assessment system measuring real-world skills. WorkKeys connects work skills, training, and testing for education and employers, responds to the requirements of federal programs and legislation, supports economic and workforce programs and is the basis for the National Career Readiness Certificate.
- The Worker Traits and Characteristics Rating Standards is an evaluation tool that may be used to collect information for the students who are working in situational assessments, internships, or integrated employment settings. Th results of the ratings may become part of a student's age-appropriate assessment data that is the initial step in the transition process.
Your Employment Selections (YES!)
- Your Employment Selections (YES!) is motion-video, Internet-based job preference program for youth and adults with disabilities. This program allows youth and adult participants with limited or no reading skills to watch videos of jobs, listen as a narrator describes key tasks in each job, and select preferred ones.