Latin American Studies in Puebla, Mexico - Winter and Spring Quarters
Thank you for your interest in Seattle University’s Latin American Studies Program (LASP). You are invited to apply for enrollment in this program for winter or spring quarter 2013 or for both quarters.
Please submit the following items directly to the Department of Modern Languages, Xavier Hall 101, by April 10, 2013:
- A completed application form.
- An official transcript of grades from the school you are currently attending. If you are currently attending S.U., make an unofficial copy of your transcript and send it to the Modern Languages Department.
- A recent photograph of yourself.
- A short essay of 150 words explaining your reasons for applying to the Latin American Studies Program.
Applicants must also complete the Online Horizons Application.
If you are accepted into the LASP program, you must submit to the Department of Modern Languages a $200 non-refundable deposit (check only), no later than May 7, 2013.
All applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for admission at Seattle University as regular students. If you have any questions regarding a financial aid package for this program - scholarships, grants, loans – please contact the Financial Aid Office at Seattle University at 296-5847. Students are responsible for making their own financial arrangements.
If you have any further questions, please contact the Modern Language Department.
The Latin American Studies Program (LASP) in Puebla, Mexico, will follow the regular Seattle University Winter and Spring Quarter schedules. Students are advised to arrive in Puebla at least 2 days before classes start.
Classes will be held at the Universidad Iberoamericana, Puebla, a Jesuit university of about 5,000 students in southwestern Puebla. Students will attend classes three hours each day, Monday through Friday. All classes will be conducted in Spanish.
LASP Course Offerings
- SP 225 Spanish Language 5
- SP 235 Reading, Composition and Conversation
- SP 392 Special Topic
- Total: 15 credits
- SP 315 Latin American and Spanish Culture and Civilization
- SP 325 Introduction to Latin American and Spanish Literature
- SP 393 Latin American History, Politics and Societies
- Total: 15 credits
The prerequisites for enrollment in the winter quarter of this program are Spanish 215 (5 credits). This course will be offered during Fall Quarter 2010 at Seattle University.
The prerequisites for enrollment in the spring quarter of this program are 15 credits of second year Spanish courses, or the equivalent as determined by the program director.
In addition, every LASP participant must complete a weekly 1 hour LASP orientation course in fall quarter 2010 at Seattle University. This course provides a cultural and practical orientation in preparation for living in Mexico.
Educational Field Trip
Students are required to participate in a major field trip for approximately two weeks in Mexico, which is a requirement of the course entitled SP 393-Latin American History, Politics and Societies. The cost of this educational trip is the responsibility of each student.
The application deadline is April 10, 2013.
Selection of Participants
The Modern Languages Department evaluates each applicant by considering the applicant’s overall grade-point average, Spanish language grade point average, references, and level of interest in Spanish language acquisition and Latin American culture. A minimum 3.00 overall GPA and 3.30 Spanish Language GPA are required for acceptance into the program. Notification of acceptance will be given within two weeks of the application deadline. A personal interview may be required for some applicants prior to acceptance into the program.
Students must submit a Liability Release Form to Seattle University before participating in the program.
Students will be required to make their own travel arrangements and submit their travel itinerary to the program director.
All students are required to reside with Mexican families selected by the program.
Each student must purchase a medical insurance policy through Seattle University that provides coverage in Mexico.
Estimated Costs per Quarter
- Seattle University Tuition (15 credits) $9,780*
- Round-trip Airfare, Seattle to Mexico City $1,000*
- Room and Board $1,500*
- Major Field Trip (Spring Quarter only) $ 700*
- Miscellaneous Spending Money $1,200*
- TOTAL $14,180*
*These figures represent approximate costs.
Academic Advantages offered by LASP
- Upon completion of the spring quarter of this program, you may only need 15 additional credits in 400 level Spanish courses, to obtain a Spanish major at Seattle University.
- Upon completion of the winter and spring quarters of this program, you will have satisfied the requirements for a Spanish minor at Seattle University and may have 5 credits in excess.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact:
Jaime Perozo 296-5381 email@example.com
Gonzalo Montoya 296-2471 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sonia Barrios 296-2458 email@example.com
Diana Luna 296-5376 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Required Financial Aid Paperwork for Education Abroad
- LASP Application
- LASP Flyer
Mexico Country Specific Information