This page lists a variety of websites and online resources identified by SU faculty as being particularly helpful and/or relevant. If you have a favorite "teaching website," please let us know, including the name of the site, a brief description, and a link. Thanks!
Teaching Goals Inventory (TGI) Online tool
The Teaching Goals Inventory (TGI) is a self-assessment of instructional goals. Its purpose is threefold: (1) to help college teachers become more aware of what they want to accomplish in individual courses; (2) to help faculty locate Classroom Assessment Techniques they can adapt and use to assess how well they are achieving their teaching and learning goals; and (3) to provide a starting point for discussion of teaching and learning goals among colleagues.
Explorations in Learning and Instruction: The Theory into Practice Database
"The Theory Into Practice (TIP) database contains descriptions of over 50 theories relevant to human learning and instruction. Each description includes the following sections: overview, scope/application, example, principles, and references. Relationships between theories are identified by highlighted text within articles. These relationships can be connections between specific theories or to concepts that underlie a number of theories. The theories are also indexed according to content domain and type of learning."
Supporting Learning: Resources on key themes in higher education
The UK's Higher Education Academy has resources under eight key themes: Assessment (=graded assignments); Curriculum; E-Learning; Employability and Enterprise; Learning and Teaching; Quality; and Widening Participation (=encouraging people from under-represented sections of society to attend university)
The Higher Education Academy in the UK (www.heacademy.ac.uk) funds a network of 24 "Subject Centres" to support teaching and learning initiatives, research and dissemination at the disciplinary level. Much of the material could be applied to other subjects, so you may want to hunt around in other disciplines as well as your own. Each link opens in a new window.
- Art, Design and Media
- Built Environment (CEBE)
- Business, Management, Accountancy and Finance (BMAF)
- Education (ESCALATE)
- Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences (GEES)
- Health Sciences and Practice
- History, Classics and Archaeology
- Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism (HLST)
- Information and Computer Sciences
- Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies (LLAS)
- Law (UK Centre for Legal Education - UKCLE)
- Materials (UK Centre for Materials Education)
- Maths, Stats & OR Network (MSOR)
- Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine (MEDEV)
- PALATINE - Dance, Drama and Music
- Philosophical and Religious Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Sociology, Anthropology and Politics (C-SAP)
- Social Policy and Social Work (SWAP)